Christmas Day

Home Forums Louth Chat Christmas Day

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    libby

I wonder how many people have bad experience on this day..
    I know Christmas is for the kids and the birth of our Lord

We all go to the Childrens Mass on Christmas eve nite.. its a Family thing..

But i do think of all those whom lost a loved one this year,, the unhappiness it brings, the frustration, the anger, the hurt

I know it is one day but – What do others think???

Taylor5

I remember one year my dad and brother had a huge row, it almost distroyed xmas for us all…. it was about my brother drinking too much in his friends house and not coming home on time for dinner, my dad went mad and it turned into a stand off between a drunk 18 yearold and my dad. That was the worst xmas days ever but it did blow over pretty quickly

My dad died in August and we made a promise that xmas wasnt going to boom and gloom as my dad loved everything to be perfect at xmas, he was such a kid.
    We set his place at the head of the table, might sound weird but we all still felt him there with us and couldnt really accept he was gone. After dinner we all told funny happy stories about past xmas. Rather then sitting crying about him being gone, we knew he of all people wouldnt want this, so we embraced his love of fun/happiness at christmas time and by doing this we kept a little piece of him alive……forever in our hearts

Moonflower

Thats a lovely way to remember your Dad, taylor. 🙂

I never looked forward to christmas as a child, due to having an alcoholic father but I forgave my Dad a long time ago, and he has passed over also….but i now try to enjoy Christmas as much as poss but its something that is always with me….a sicky feeling in my tummy…….but its getting better especially the thought of making my DS have wonderful christmases 🙂

So now i think of all the poor little children that are living in this situation still….this year i will be sending distant healing to all the children who are not looking forward to christmas 🙁

Gismo

I’m dreading Christmas this year. Have lost my brother and father-in-law this year and both were sudden passings. My brother loved Christmas and he will leave a huge hole with us this Christmas. My father-in-law was just such a lovely man and loved by all who ever met him. A true gentleman and he will be so missed this year too.
    I just want the day to come and go but i’m going to make such an effort for my little man. Its hard too as we have to split up for christmas dinner as mam and dad would be on their on so i want to be with them and naturally dh wants to be with his mum to help her through. Its going to be really tough but we will get through it as best we can.

Moonflower

Ahh, Gismo, thats so tough on you all……Christmas is really a very sad time for so many isnt it……but remembering family members that are no longer with us is also a lovely thing to do at Christmas, but i think the first year without them is the hardest. I am sure your brother and father-in-law will still be very close to you during the day and will try their best to help you enjoy day as best you can.

Moonflower x

Taylor5

Gismo why dont you make everyone come to yours and have a huge celebration of life not death, nothing like a young child to put a smile on your face…. remember neither your brother or FIL would like to see you unhappy on this day.

Gismo

Thanks Moonflower and Taylor..bit awkward to organise both families together as at the minute mil is grieving too much to recognise anything else…she is very angry at the minute and my brother’s passing does not register with her so best that we do separate things this year but definitely having joint christmas next year at my own house.

I am looking forward to seeing my little mans face with all his presents and his little face light up when we put up the tree so all won’t be lost. Will just be quiet tough but as you say Taylor they wouldn’t want us to be miserable so going to do our best to sing and laugh as if they were there

libby

Most people don’t realise what happens in other people’s houses or even lives.

We don’t realise how lucky we are until something happens in our lives..

I have many sad and happy memories of Christmas – most important now is for my family to enjoy it.

I look forward to christmas eve mass( childrens) in the Augustine- to thank God for all that has happened throughout the year and think of the sadneess suffered by all at this time

Taylor5

Libby I know what your saying, I was reading the Joe O’ Reilly book and how her family found it heartbreaking that her dh "hated" her, they from the outside thought everything was rosey, you just dont know.

Please God all our children will have happy memories of xmas etc…

Gismo the loss or your brother is bad enought but now your FIL. Its early days for you MIL and anger is a huge part of it. We found a visit to the grave early on xmas morning did us the power of good, we got it out of our system for the whole day. My dad was a believer of looking after the living as the dead look after themselves……….. I hate new year and without fail I bawl my eyes out at midnight, find it much harder to deal with then xmas

bunnacurry

I remember living in London in the 1990s and there were so many Irish who didn’t make it home for Xmas, especially retired pensioners who hadn’t been back to Ireland in 40 or 50 years. Many of them lived alone and had no one to share the festive season with. It was just a normal day for many of them. They gave so much to Ireland, sending back money to the ones left behind, but as years became decades it became more difficult for them to return home. They worked so hard and are really the forgotten people of Ireland.

I remember a retired electrician used to receive a Christmas card from President Mary Robinson and he lived for that card every year. It was a link to his forgotten past.

I always try to enjoy Christmas and give more of my time to others. I have never had the same Christmas any year and there have been years when things were not good but I always made the most of it. Several years ago, my husband was very ill and he spent the whole of December in hospital so I had my christmas dinner in the hospital. We made the most of what we had. Its always difficult to celebrate christmas when we have lost loved ones. Having lost both my parents in the space of six months a couple of years ago, I always try to remeber the good times and the wonderful christmas we had when we were children.

Having my daughter this year for christmas is such a joy. I know from many parents who have children, having a child brought the happiness back into christmas. It such a special time to celebrate and remember our past.

Taylor5

Bunnacurry that is sooo sad, it just goes to show there is alot of sadness at this time of the year

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.