choosing school??

Home Forums Education choosing school??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    scole1

ok it’s that time of year where schools are having open evening for those starting school in sept….but when you have had your child’s name on a list for that school what do you choose, how do you choose….

do you choose the first school that says yes?
    do you look into their extra ciricular activities?
    do you look at the students attending and how they are getting on?
    do you choose by recommendations from friends or otherwise?
    how do you know if you are at the end of the day making the right choice of school?

or even is there snobbery when choosing a school? or not really bothered attitude….

just thought would be interesting to see how people choose schools…

i’ll be facing this decision in the next month and i want to make sure i choose the right school for my ds and give him the best chance i can at a good education…a foundation for what will become…

yummymummy

The schools I chose for my ds are the schools his grandad and all his uncles went to simple as that!
    PLus they are near to where we live and alot of his friends live around the same area.
    Extra cirrucular doesnt really come into play for me as school is for learning. He already has his GAA but they do that in the school too and more than likely he will attend all that.

No snobbery for me at all. St Patricks, St Joesphs Sundays Gate and St Joesphs secondary…all boys schools.

Martina
    Participant

My daughter is at St. Louis Secondary School, Dundalk. I went there, so did all my cousins, etc. I knew the routine, but more importantly I knew the school has a great ethos of trying to find their pupils special skills or talents. There is a big focus on music (not every secondary school have full time music teachers, The Louis has four) and DD is very musical so that was a big factor also.

Only one other girl from her school went with her the rest went to St. Vincent’s and I was a bit nervous about that at first even though I knew she knew others through her music starting also, but she wouldn’t have knownt them that well. She’s doing her Junior Cert this year and I can honestly say that from the first day I dropped her off she has the best bunch of friends and I have never had a morning where she’s said she doesn’t want to go to school. To be honest I think The Louis has suited her better than it ever did me.

Somehow even though I was less than the model student in my day, I’m now in my second year as Chairperson of the Parent’s Council, which I think any of my classmates would think hilarious if they knew. One of my classmates is teaching my daughter and my science teacher from all those years ago is the Headmistress.

One important piece of advice though for no matter which school you choose…. register your children for them early. In Dundalk the number of places for secondary school is becoming a problem. I’m sure Drogheda which has expanded even more has the same problem and I know that Navan VEC are already expressing concern for this September! They reckon that by 2012 which isn’t very far away, there will not be enough places for the children due to start school. So its very important if you have a particular school in mind that you register early. The Louis takes in roughly 120 students per year and we have 140 names for next year already…. some of those will be registered in a number of schools and won’t have chosen yet. But we have over 100 names already for 2012 and 2013’s list is also filling up….

Taylor5

Sparklycake, Scole is talking about how to choose primary schools…

I have my ds’s down in 3 schools I do have my favourites Le Cheile and the Irish school are at the top of my list, the local national school is there as Im hedging my bets and its my last choice…. going to talk to dh go over the options and then go with my heart and hope that im given a sign on how to choose…… or that things will happen for a reason and maybe get refused from one so that will make my choice easier iykwim…

As for extra ciricular activities are these not extra to school work? So you dont have to send your child or send to local sports clubs etc when they reach that age! Not something im worried about too much as he will have out of school stuff iwykim…
    its a tough one 😯 Light a candle and hope for the best….

scole1

sparklycake, thanks so much for your reply, as choosing schools regardless of secondary or primary is a big decison it’s trying to make the best decision for your child…i too a bit of a messer inschool but think it’s really important so much more so now as i am the parent….i bet my ds’s will give me grief but in the end it’s the best for them….

scole1

have school meeting on monday, and offers hopefully going out in a bit, have 2 narrowed down we just have to see what’s offered…or he’ll be home schooled…lol…..

still can’t believe he’s starting this sept….where’s my baby gone??

Martina
    Participant

Scole & Taylor,

Maybe its being from a rural school area, it never even crossed my mind that they would have open days for Primary Schools.

Sorry about that…..

Still though remember you want to be thinking secondary school by the time they get to first class, so if you have older kids, think about it!

yummymummy

my ds is 8 but i have already applied for his secondary school as its first come first served….he not going till sept 2013……bloody scary that its not that long away.

they have open days for most schools now, they are usually advertised in the DI.

Bookwitch

I only put dd1’s name down for secondary school last october and she is in 4th class I am worried that she won’t get in I left it so late because I wasn’t sure where to send her. I am not from Drogheda so I didn’t have past experience to go on and from talking to people i got alot of different conflicting opinions.

yummymummy

what schools did u put her down for bookwitch??

scole1

sparkleycake believe it or not both ds’s down for secondary already put them down when one was 3 the other 2months old ish 😆

Muso

I might just play devil’s advocate here and suggest that all primary schools are much of a muchness 😮 , unless of course you want to have Irish as first language. I personally do not see any benefit is single sex schools at this age. Also a lot of my friends are primary teachers and they are all incredibly focused on their students and put in a lot of time and effort outside of class too. Am I being naive?

I have put ds down for the local NS only as Irish is not a major priority for us as ds will be brought up bilingually anyway.

Taylor5

i know one of the big differences in some schools is how they teach english… there are different programmes, some us phonics and others dont.
    my nephew moved house in 1st class, his first school was a rural school and his new school is in the town (Naas in kildare) the poor child couldnt manage his maths or english when hemoved schools as both schools were different… how he was taught to subtract in the schools were totally different and very confusing for such a young child.

scole1

yeah i know some schools do teach differently have different ethos so each school varies…..i know there are teachers that really give their heart and soul…i suppose each parent has very different views on how they would like their child taught hence huge decision to where to send, as taylor said her nephew in one school then total different way of teaching in another so shows schools are different…

i do think though my personal opinion it’s important that the parent aid and guide the child and have an interest, i do know people that say i don’t mind one they go to school it’s the teachers job to teach that’s why i send to school….

i look at it differently as i said not a big school fan when i was in school, but now see how important it is older and wiser 😀 but i want to be able to assist my child and know that wherever i send my child that i can do this, obviously not interefere with how or what the teacher teaches but to be able to continue guiding my child from home…iykwim…

each person is different they have their own views and shouldn’t be dammed where they send their kids..i just want my child to get the best and i want to help my child that’s all…

Taylor5

Went to the school this evening and im delighted, the school looks fab and the staff are soooo nice….. i know ds wont get the first offer but maybe he will get in on count 2 or 3.
    I really really hope he gets a place so fingers crossed and say a prayers…… im buzzin after seen the place and to see all the mammies i knew, he will know loads in there… kids off the street, kids from his playschool…. his girlfriend (well she thinks she is his girlfriend he tells me he wont hug her and doesnt care but when i told him she going to the same school there was a twinkle in his eye) 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆
    Moonflower you look fantastic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.