Choosing a primary school!! Help!!

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Choosing a primary school!! Help!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    suzieQ

Hi all,
    Have enrolled my DD in both St.bridgets, bothar brugha and St.Olivers N.S on the ballymakenny rd for this coming September and I was just looking for any information on either schools to help decide which school to send her to! Do primary schools have open days?
    I’m a little lost as how to decide!
    Any help appreciated!
    Many thanks!
    SuzieQ :D

munchin
    Participant

I don’t think they do open days but most would be happy for you to make appointment to go see the school I think.
    I don’t know the schools you mentioned – are they mixed or single stream – if I remember rightly you have a son so if it’s girls only school it would mean you’d have 2 children in separate schools
    how close to you are they?
    Do you know anyone with children in the schools?

Good luck with you decision

Taylor5

Most schools have open days, I would go and really go with the feel of things. You will know if a school feels wrong for you and your child.

pookie4
    Participant

Go online & check last Dept of Education school inspection report. They are very detailed. No school is perfect & recommendations for improvements are nearly always made, but you’ll get a fair idea of how it is functioning….

CaliGal

Meet the head master/principal of both..as they say S**t trickles down and the attitude and ethos of the school is entirely dictated by the top man/woman!!

suzieQ

Thanks for your replies. Munchin they are both roughly the same distance and one is mixed and the other is all girls but has a boys school right beside it for my son who will be starting the following year.
    It was more whether a mixed or single sex school is better! I know there is a lot of different opinions on this thou! My DD has said she wants to go to an all girls school but is that reason enough to do so?
    I don’t know anyone else with kids in either school and I don’t know anyone with children who I could really ask! Have roughly 3 weeks to make the decision too! My OH wants them to go to the single sex schools but only cos we both did!

suzieQ

Caligal, can you just arrange to do that? Seems like a good idea! Is there any questions I should be asking or anything I should look out for?

Fabienne

Some studies (of course some studies will say the opposite) say that girls do better in all girl school when boys will do better in mixed school. But I don’t know what age group the study was about.

Difficult choice, check, ask about and then go with your own feeling.
    Fabienne

munchin
    Participant

morning fabienne I came across that when I was researching schools.
    What I found was mixed for primary schools and at secondary level girls do better in girls only and boys in mixed. I don’t know how old that info is or anything but I personally choose mixed for my girls after being in girls only myself all the way up. I would like them to go to girls only for secondary but we’ll see when that comes about.

CaliGal

Yes any school principal worth anything will be delighted to show you around. We are moving 25 miles away and I enrolled kids in 2 new schools. Both phoned me upon receiving the applications and asked when I wanted to pop down for a look and meet principal. VERY IMPORTANT TO MEET PRINCIPAL!

suzieQ

Thanks everyone for replies! I have finally decided to go with the single sex school! Turns out my mum knows the prinipal so im arranging to meet her!

Many thanks for all your help!!
    SuzieQ 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.