Choosing a Obstetrician/Gynaecologist

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pregnancy & Birth Choosing a Obstetrician/Gynaecologist

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there,
    I have just found out I am expecting and went to speak to my GP for an Obstetrician/Gynaecologist recommendation.
    I phoned the recommended Obstetrician/Gynaecologist this morning to make an appointment and before I could ask where his office was located the receptionist told me to hold my questions and I could ask them after she had told me some information. She then told me the cost (which I knew anyway) and that at my first scan appointment I would bring my booking deposit (of €1000) and then another payment at the 26 weeks and the final payment at the 36 week stage. Then I was allowed to ask the location.
    So I am expected to pay €1000 before I even meet the Obstetrician/Gynaecologist ????
    Is this the norm? I consider this payment a lot of money, I’d like to meet him before I hand it over?
    Can anyone give a total newbie some advice?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Congrats on your pregnancy 😀

My advice would be – dont do it, don’t go private!!!

I went private in OLOL and it made no difference. I had to wait at all my appointments, my obs did not make it in time for the birth(in fairness, it was a straight forward birth and the midwife was fab so we did not need the doc) and I did not get into a private room because there were none available when I had given birth.

I had a full public birth and stay and despite that, I was charged in full for a private service. It was a total waste of money.

the public service is good, if there are any problems you will be looked after in the same way whether you are private or not.

As for the birth, there is no guarantee that your doctor will be there and there is no guarantee of a private room either in a public hospital because there are limited private rooms.

The only way to guarantee a private experience is to go to Mount Carmel (they are fab, loved my stay there!)

If its a public hospital, I would recommend going public or going to an MLU and spending the money on something else instead.

That’s my tuppence worth anyways!!

Yvonne

Hi there,

Thats a big booking deposit alright! Best thing to do is to ask about him and get some feedback.

I went private on both mine and couldn’t fault it.. my gp said to me that the difference between public and private is the care during the pregnancy, at the end of it baby will be born safely regardless of public or private.

Obviously private doesn’t guarantee you early scans (unless you had previous problems) or on time appointments, (or even the consultant at the birth), but for me meeting the same people at each appointment was better and I built up a relationship with them during that time.

There has always been public v private discussions and at the end of it, its down to personal choice.

Good luck xx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.