Chimney Experts

Home Forums Yummy Mummy to Practical Parenting! Chimney Experts

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I would get someone that knew about chimneys? I have a major problem with down draught when it gets windy. Not too bothered in the summer but very cold in the winter.

Anyhow, I was thinking of buying a cowl and would need someone who could fit. I googled it but found nothing. I did find that the problem could be caused by the height of your flue in relation to the height of the roof – so need someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

thanks

Taylor5

Mammycool we are the same here, what is a cowl?

I went and got a pillow last night and shoved up the chimney last night, it wasnt a draught it was a full on gale coming down!!!

Love to know how you get on

Fabienne

Did you try to go to fireplace direct in Drogheda, they’ll have a list of installer who should know their job.

Fabienne

Taylor5

im looking into getting a dimplex insert stove fitted…. that will sort it out

Maria30

You can buy a thing to put up the chimney, its like a balloon that you inflate and deflate when you need it. Cant remember the proper name for it but maybe check out an energy saving website

Maria30
    Taylor5

oh never seen these! i have a pillow shoved up my hole 😯

Maria30

Heard about them on the radio a while ago, might be better than shoving a pillow up your hole 😆 😆 😆 😯

Taylor5

Heard about them on the radio a while ago, might be better than shoving a pillow up your hole 😆 😆 😆 😯

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

Yes, the esb do the balloons on their website. A chimney cowl is like a hat that goes on the chimney – or you can get ones that rotate. I have since had to get a roofer to sort out some loose tiles – so bought a cowl in Woodies for 40euro and asked him to stick it on while he was up there. They are 40euro for the universal one or 99 for the rotating(but you have to know the size of the pot for that one).

It only went up yesterday – so have to wait until it is windy to see if it does the job.

I did also think about a stove – a very brief thought though, would have to wait until next year to see about that.

Taylor5

just seen in the Drogheda leader that BOHILS is back open!!! yippee…. not the drogheda store the Termonfeckin one.
    They are doing stoves and fireplaces and they have offers on, tried the number that was in the leader but its a fax machine, will have to wait for my leader to arrive to check the number
    Will let you know if they have anything good on offer

mammycool
    Participant

Well, the chimney cowl did the job – no nasty winds coming down since. Nice and cosy – even in all the cold weather. Though we have lit a few fires.

Taylor5

Will have a look in Woodies they have money off everything in store at the moment, can you still light the fire with the cowl? Sorry havent got a clue what they are 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.