Children from age of 2 should be drinking LOW fat milk!!!??

Home Forums Louth Chat Children from age of 2 should be drinking LOW fat milk!!!??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am just watching midweek on tv 3 and they are talking about over weight kids, and she said kids from the age of 2 should be drinking low fat milk!! i looked confused and got on my apple mac to check it out and she is right,
    "the American Academy of Pediatrics advises that parents begin low fat milk after age two years. Before that age, toddlers should be either breastfeeding or drinking whole milk, but after age two you can start giving him 2%, 1%, or skim milk."
    Kind of think myself that maybe that should not be the way!!
    what do you think??

MissyG

my dd was referred to a dietician when she was about 18months old & the dietician recommended avonmore low fat super milk. i was like what??? she said it was perfectly ok to give a toddler & that it had all the necessary vitamins needed. its a bit more expensive than normal milk but its now the only milk i buy & its the best thing i’ve ever done..

missyg

Anonymous
    Inactive

ya your probably right there, super milk with vitamins why did i not think of that!! 😆
    Seems mad to be giving a growing child low fat milk though…. but i guess if they say its ok then it must be…. funny how that is not as well know as give your child milk from age one is, funny that!! like it is top secret….. 8) cause i would never have know that!!

Taylor5

Ah what a crock of s**t…. Im sorry we had full fat milk, real butter etc… did us no harm. I do see alot of kids over weight but Im sure that more down to fast foods and takeaways rather then full fat milk or cheese 😆 😆 😆
    I think a little of everything is good for Adults and Kids alike….. I wouldnt mind what the Americans say, when the are talking fat kids its a 6 year old at 10 stone 😯 😯 😯 Over here it would be a 6 year old at 5 stone HUGE difference
    Sorry Im full fat all the way 🙄 Thats whats wrong with me…… off now to have a cuppa with full fat milk and a scone with "cant believe its not butter" 😉

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I think low fat is only recommended if the child is overweight. Like you say, toddlers are growing and need a certain amount of fat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No they reckon every kid from age 2 should be drinking low fat milk regardless of size!!!
    Me i think mine should be on the full fat and i am a full fat milk tea drinker myself 😀 tea is not the same with out it!!
    besides the more milk they drink the less they eat!!! 😡 ha ha

Maman1

Ok I am French and in France we more or less automatically drink low fat milk so I know I was given low fat milk as a toddler not because I was fat or not to avoid being fat. Just because that’s the way it’s done and if the diet is correct: get your fish, green veg, fruits, starch…etc… then yes low fat milk is perfectly fine! I am no health expert but I happen to have grown on low fat milk and I am a healthy adult now 😉
    But I also like from time to time to buy full fat milk for all the family.
    My husband now always buys the super milk which is indeed way expensive so we kind of alternate.
    Hope this "helps"

noeleenw

we live on a farm and we where reared on milk straight from the cow – not pasteurised – with loads of cream on it …. and we are still here to tell the tale

Anna77

You’re better off without too much animal (produced) fat, so low fat dairy produce does make sense. Although full fat I’m sure won’t kill you (unless taken in really ridiculous quantities), low fat has got to be the healthier option. My maternal family all eat microbiotically, without any meat or dairy products. They claim -mind, most of them are at least a little mad- that milk is not nearly as good for you as we’ve always been led to believe, one of the reasons being that it’s hard for humans to digest. They are all incredibly healthy and never sick (including the kids!), and they get their calcium from green leafy veg and beans. A mid-way alternative is goat’s milk or yoghurt, both much easier to digest and will still give you all the calcium you need.

pumbainga

😆 😆 😆
    low fat milk 😆 😆 , i agree with Talor5 , less fast food, takaway and no problem to have full fat milk! my HB is drinking full fat milk 1 l a day 😯 , and he is as slim as i don’t know, but he is ok!!
    my children the same, so i dont think that milk is the PROBLEM!

Taylor5

we live on a farm and we where reared on milk straight from the cow – not pasteurised – with loads of cream on it …. and we are still here to tell the tale

We were the same, we would visit relations and I remember my cousin going outside with the milk jug to fill up the milk for the house, when he came back the milk was still warm 😆 😆 😆 They made there own butter unpasterised and to this day I’ve never tasted anything like that butter… yum yum…

I think some people take things to the extreme,

Fabienne

It’s a question of culture.
    French as well and they say not to give full fat BEFORE the age of 5.
    Anyway, less animal sourced fat is better.
    So why not semi-skimmed and not feel guilty when full fat real butter (there is not way I can have any other kind, every once in a while I buy fake butter trying "to be good" and it’s not for me).

When I was a child semi-skimmed but my grand-mother had her milk full fat delivered fron nearby farm. And each time I was visiting her I had my 2 glasses of full fat milk, and it was the best treat. I always went in her utility room to get my glass of milk (room temp) and never cared about biscuits (that has changed a lot).

I still treat myself the odd glass of full fat milk, and for every day it’s semi-skimmed.

So my kids being in Ireland by french parents have semi-skimmed milk.

Talk soon,
    Fabienne

hjs

Neither of my 2 would drink it beyond about 18 months.

Went to the semi skimmed we have by time 2yrs.

Happy and healthy and HUGE (height, not girth)

Surely a question of a balanced diet and getting them to consume a broad range of sources of calcium?

Mummies know (their own children and what’s good for them) best! Don’t be guilted into one course or another by tv, radio or any media, I know we all strong enough 4 that!

MissyG

my dd was referred to a dietician because her paediatrician thought she was slightly UNDERWEIGHT for her age…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so referred us to the dietician to see what could be done for her… dd is a v active child & never stays easy & any calories she has is burnt up completely – ive lost 2 stone in weight in the last year in trying to keep up with her!!! she is now 3 & a very picky eater & only eats when she wants to & now she won’t even tough the feckin milk!!!!!! lol 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

my dd was referred to a dietician because her paediatrician thought she was slightly UNDERWEIGHT for her age…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so referred us to the dietician to see what could be done for her… dd is a v active child & never stays easy & any calories she has is burnt up completely – ive lost 2 stone in weight in the last year in trying to keep up with her!!! she is now 3 & a very picky eater & only eats when she wants to & now she won’t even tough the feckin milk!!!!!! lol 🙂

that sounds like my little girl who will be 4 this month, i tell her she can only be a princesses if she finishes the dinner ha ha ha which i end up feeding her like she is a baby!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.