CHICKENS

Home Forums National Chat CHICKENS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    scole1

we got chickens today 8 in total…so lovely to have just to wait now to see if they lay…

we got 6 different bresds and all named they guy we got them from had beautiful ones if anyone looking to get chickens would recommend him pm for his number…
    so we’ve named them
    Chicken Licken, Nuggets, Snowy, Ah Ah, Paxo, Buffy, Speckled Marion,and one still to be named….lol

must say it’s great for the kids and hopefully some yummy eggs to come

noeleenw

we have 6 hens a duck and a drake , the duck is sitting on eggs and there is great excitement … we get 5 eggs a day and ds2 sits on a chair with one of the hens on his knee 😆

Maria30

Would love to get some but dont think hubby would be impressed.

Scole, are you keeping them at your allotment? ( I think I remember reading somewhere you had 1)

rossylisa

Dh aunt has some and she gets 5 eggs a day form them. Lovley fresh eggs

scole1

wow some little duck to pop out soon, that would be so cool….

cannot wait for eggs….

yeah up on allotment, it’s great but one the one we hadn’t named escaped this morning, so she has been named Hudini….escaped twice would you believe…but wings are clipped now, so hopefully that will put an end to it….

have to say we’re loving the allotment and the chickens….would totally recommend

Maria30

Allotment sounds great, must be really nice to escape from the world for a couple of hours.

trixiebell
    Participant

sounds cool lol!! Where is the allotment at scole?

Nice fresh eggs yummm!!!

Martina
    Participant

Scole,

What kind of chicken run do you have and can I be cheeky and ask how much did the henhouse cost or did you make up your own.

I really want to get chicken’s. I have a disadvantage in that I’m scared of birds but I am determined to get over that.

Taylor5

sparkly my brother sells chicks and hens, he also makes up chicken runs to the size you want… he is hundreds cheaper then the pet stores. I will pass on his number if your intrested.
    He would have a good few hens and plenty of eggs, he has a sign at his gate and people stop and buy the eggs 😆 😆 😆 plus allthe locals who bake love his eggs

scole1

it really depends on how many you want to house and how much room you have and what you want, we got it in the uk, bigger and cheaper than here but some places you can get great houses and some with in built runs, i saw a decent sized one that you could litterally place in your garden and it has an enclosed run in equipet….

we really just have a house and then where they are it’s open, we have an electric fence to keep things out, and then recently clipped their wings to stop flying, i know another girl had a house with a tiny run but now has the whole enclosure and has put a net up….

there are many places to buy chicks but be careful where you get them from some breed just to sell and they are cramped….also make sure that they are healthy as in ask for their wings etc to be sprayed for mites, and if any are sneezing etc stay away, as they’ll need antibiotics, we have now been giving ours some anitbiotics as from 2 different people and you can buy the spray or powder in any pet store now….also important that they have grit to eat leave in a tin, as this helps form the shell of the eggs, if they lay and they crack the eggs, that means they will go back for the eggs everytime they lay as they’ll get a taste for the yolk, so providing them witn their grain and the grit hopefully will stop this…we haven’t any layers yet as they are still a little young and won’t lay until about 22 weeks old….so some will be a month others longer….

oh and when getting chickens unless you want a cock, make sure the person you are getting them from are sure they are hens….

we have 5 different breeds, road island red, a light sussex, can’t remember what 2 of them are and a speckeled maron and some hybrids…also make sure you don’t just get table birds as you can get table birds these are for eating iykwim….

chicks should cost on average 5e for hatch and 1e per week after that…. so example a 12 week old should be depending on breed about 17e again depends on breed they are and how old etc

happy chick buying any more info pm and will try and answer some questions for ya, they guy we got our chickens from knows his stuff…

Moonflower

what a post…great to read allotments & chickens…getting back to basics…would love them as well but think would want in garden & have them in house for cuddles…but of course dogs wouldnt like that…my nan used to have ducks & they lived in house during day and would cuddle up with her to watch tv…they flew off in end but when they had young following year they brought them back to show my nan…was amazing to see as she lived quite a way from nearest river…the ducks just paddled up road in a line up to her house….

i presume you just keep the chickens for eggs or do some people keep them to eat???

scole1

ah moonflower that’s a lovely story….we had ducks before too but had to get rid gave them to newbridge house in donabate

we have them for pets and eggs, oh the thoughts of eating them turns me right off chicken all together, had chicken the other night could barely eat it kept thinking of our girls

Moonflower

😆 😆 oh yes i can imagine it would put you off…great for yr boys as well the chickens and alotment…DS keeps askin me can he grow some vegetables…

Martina
    Participant

Thats all good information to know! Thanks.

I am really interested in this, but have to be sure I have the nerve to handle them before I take on with them for real as I said I have a fear of birds – anything bigger than a robin can freak me completely.

So staying with the cousins for a few days in August and I’m going to do the looking after them there and when I’m sure I can deal with it, then I’ll go for it. I’m determined to get beyond the fear, but I love animals and I want to be sure that if I get them I will be able to keep them and look after them properly.

scole1

great sparklycake, good on ya, sure see hoe you get on and take one step at a time…..you’ll do great….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.