Chicken Pox – Help!

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Chicken Pox – Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hailey is still covered in I’d say well over 100 spots but thankfully she seems nearly back to herself, as in her mood in brighter & she’s getting her appetite back more. I’m looking forward to seeing a spot free little girl one day soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, Chicken Pox has broken out in Haileys creche so I reckon it is only a matter of time beofre she gets it.Just wondering does anyone have any good tips to stop the itching.A friend said Camomile didnt work for her kids at all…anybody have any tips?.

mammycool
    Participant

Mine both got this within a week of each other. He was 4 and she was 2. They say that the older the child is the worse they get it – definately true. I used chamomile lotion to ease the skin and Zirtek to ease the itch.

I did not know that she had chicken pox and was treating her for hives which she is prone to. It worked a treat. I was away the following weekend when he got it. I treated him the same way when I got home but he had a much worse dose and had already been scratching. It did ease the symphtoms but he did scratch a bit.

chewieodie
    Participant

Phenergan or Zirtek…. also helps them sleep… 😉 which is a blessing.

Then, next thing is camomile cream… not the lotion… thicker and works better I found…

HATE chickenpox with a passion…

Taylor5

Phenergan or Zirtek are great, but I dont think you could use either on Hailey without medical advice as she is so young…. i think Phenergan was going to over 7’s, if it hasnt changed yet then its over 2’s.

Eurax Cream is what you need, dont go near the Camomile stuff its a waste of money and messy. Baking soda baths and a must for small kids is socks or mits on their hands, you dont want any scabs picked on the face!!

My ds has never had the chicken pox and all his close friends had them and loads of cases in the playschool…. some kids just dont get it!

munchin
    Participant

Firstly she may not get it but i have heard that older they are harder it is on them

my dd1 got them when she was 2.5 the camomille didn’t do much but the eurax helpped and i used zirtex too.
    that was 4 yrs ago I’ve since heard there’s a new foam out – i think it’s called Poxcilyn (the chemist should know) – i believe it’s expensive but it is worth it – now as i said i didn’t know about it so havent used it myself.

my dd2 has been around chickenpox a few times but at 3( 4 in june) she’s yet to get it

Jedt
    Keymaster

Phenergan is amazing, it reduces their urge to scratch and helps them sleep. This really helped my kids when they had it.

Eurax cream and Ovelle Calomine cream (easier to apply than a lotion)

I also had the calomine lotion too – it helped cool the spots. the Ovelle one is good, I applied it with clean cotton pads.

Make sure to have a good supply of ice pops in the freezer, some kids go off their food and some even get the pox in their mouthes, so giving them something cool to suck on can help.

Its better the younger they get it – our kids were 7, 5 and 3 and were sick for about 10 days in all. The first few days they were itchy the next few days they had temperatures and were all really cranky and tired and then for the last few days they were full of healing scabs that we had to promise them not to scratch or pick.

Our daughter and son both have a few scars from where they did scratch the pox so do your best not to let them scratch. Its almost impossible but the phenergan really helps with that.

She might not get it but best to be prepared. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ladies 🙂 I knew you would know what to get

Im really hoping she doesnt get it but as the saying goes preparation is key!

Eurax seems to be the one thats getting the best reviews so I will get that today & see if shes old enough for phenergan.Most medication have about a 2-3 year expiration date so if she doesnt get it this time I will be prepared for the next outbreak in creche!.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Awful as it is, its kind of better is she gets it when she’s small. it seems to be less severe for smaller children. It can be awful for teens and adults.

chewieodie
    Participant

Each kid is different…. you’d have never known my daughter had it, apart from the spots… no temp, carried on like normal…
    My son on the other hand was critically ill…. with a week in hospital… and we still have to visit Temple street as a result of the damage to his ears… ;(

So… sooner the better in my book! Get it over and done with…
    Your pharmacist will guide you accordingly as to what is suitable for her..x

Anonymous
    Inactive

A few spots appeared on Haileys arm today….so i think she must be at the start of it….Unfortunately the chemist wouldnt sell me the Eurax as she said its only for over 3 years old which is a pity as it sounds like it is a good product.she said the only thing i can use is the camomile ointment or cream as she is only 15 months old.

Hopefully she will just get a mild dose and wont scratch too much.

misemammy3

Hi Haileysmum

I went through it last year with 3 of mine – the youngest was only over it when my other 2 got it together.

I have to say my daughter was the worst (she was 8 ) so I got the mousse in the chemist its called PoxClin – €19.00 but was amazing. (She was making her Communnion so I needed something really good and it was wonderful she got through the whole ceremony without an itch!! and she was in the thick of it)

The Camomile was not as effective on her as it was on the other 2.

Check out PoxClin on line as the reviews are brilliant for it.

Hope she gets through it alright.

Taylor5

Spots on her arm! Im guessing thats not chicken pox, C pox would normally start on the trunk of the body. Also most children get C pox 21 days after they came in contact with the germ.
    They must have changed the Age on Eurax cream…. didnt remember that being over 3. If you really want this products you can get them for children under those ages if you get it on perscription from the GP. The Pharmist cannot sell to you over the counter if under that age

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep Taylor the spots on her arm never developed into anything!……im hoping she will just miss the creche outbreak,time will tell.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Chickenpox usually start behind the ear or on the back of neck area. thats where all ours started. Hope she gets away with it but at same time, its good to get over it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.