Car seats

Home Forums National Chat Car seats

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

Just a question about the law….

Last week we were collecting some furniture it didnt fit into the boot so dh put it on the back seat and put ds in his car seat into the frontseat. I did question how safe this was but dh said would it not be safer then the back as he would have 5 airbags instead of 3 and he wouldnt have put him in if he didnt think it was safe.
    We went online and searched if it was legal to do this but found nothing, other then a child has to be placed in a carseat but it didnt state where in the car IYKWIM. What happens if you drive a van or a comerical jeep you have no choice but to use the carseat on the front seat.
    Please help you wise ones

munchin
    Participant

now that you mention it my dh drives a van and when collecting dd puts her car seat on the seat beside him -he’s never been stopped.
    The guy that lives accross from me has been doing the same with his 2 lads his eldest is 4
    must look into that

Taylor5

Yeah it seems a bit of a grey area and cant find a definate answer…. ds had a great time in the front, but Scole didnt think it was safe to do and that we were putting ds at risk by doing so, she said you may aswell stood him in the car between the seats 🙄 😆 😆 😆 😆

rossylisa

in a car anyone under the age of 10 i think have to be in the back seat.. my dh has a van and dd has always been in the front with him maybe its because there is no seats in the back o f the van that it is ok but in a car there is a fine if a child is in the front

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as I know it’s legal to put them in the front in a forward facing seat but I couldn’t be sure. Dh tries to do it with dd and it drives me nuts. We fight every time! Please someone have proof that it’s not legal so I can stop him!!

rossylisa

sorry taylor i got it wrong here is a link for a site i found http://www.shropshirefire.gov.uk/websit … ystems.htm it does seem that its ok as long as they have the proproper child seat hth

Happymammy

I have my daughter in the front and ive turned the airbags off. I have a fear because I had dd1 in the back when she was a couple of weeks old and she was getting sick, I was on the m1 and I couldnt get to her quick enough as I panicked and nearly killed the 2 of us I just wanted to pick her up its instinct I suppose it seemed like ages before I slowed down pulled over got out and got to her she was choking! Never again I still shudder when i think of it.
    Once they are restrained and in car seats facing forward up to (i think) 22kilos or something along themlines. If you go onto the Halfords website they have loads of info about car seats etc.

At the end of the day please god none of us ever have to worry about car crashes etc but if it happens it happens and whether the child is in the front of the car or the back, a vehicle can hit your car from front, side, back etc isnt it better to have them in the carseat regardless??

munchin
    Participant

happymammy when E was A’s age i had her in front seat facing back with air bags off – it was only when she went into the "big" car seat around 9months that she went into the back of car.

Taylor5

Happy we arent talking about babies in the front but toddlers. I was like you when ds was born I couldht turn off the airbag it had to be do in the garage (it wasnt my car I won it for a year) but I didnt want ot do this, so ds went into the back seat and I hated it.

Rossy that site is great and by the looks of things its ok for seats to be front or rear. Dh will be delighted 🙄 🙄 🙄
    It does say about letting kids use adult belts have to be over 135cm my ds is only about 107cm and has been using a booster type seat for the past 8 months or so. The reason is that I couldnt find a seat that the harness fittied, we serched for months and thought we found a Recarro seat that fitted but we nearly had to sit on him to strap him in, the girl in Halfords said it would be safer to use a booster type seat then have him pinned into a group 4 seat

***** what is it with men and putting kids in the front? 🙄 🙄 🙄

Happymammy

They want to teach their kids to be little boy racers 😆 😆 Brum Brum !!!!!
    I put dd1 into the front when she was a toddler because she puked everywhere and couldnt sit in there for a couple of days until it dried!!! I let her sit in the booster she was grand.

Taylor5

My ds sits there gong faster faster mummy or chase that car mammy 🙄 😆 😆 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

My ds sits there gong faster faster mummy or chase that car mammy 🙄 😆 😆 😆

😆 😆 So does my dd! She still hasn’t copped on that it isn’t one big race 🙄 Her uncle is a racing driver so maybe it’s in her blood but I really hope not!!

Taylor5

I give out to dh all the time he has a little boy racer in the making 🙄 Its motorbikes in my family and ds gets onto the bikes in Asrtotots and you should see him leaning into the bends when going around corners 😆 😆 😆 😆 again dh is so proud

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.