Car pooling

Home Forums Meath Chat Car pooling

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fabienne

With my husband and I ,by choice, have only one car ,we’re sharing it. We try to reduce the carbon footprint, and make some ecomony. Our second vehicule is a bicycle and a trailer/buggy. But I’d like do know how it could be possible to do some car pooling to go to work. My husband like many is commuting to work (north side of Dublin) everyday. And he’s not the only one going to the same business park and leaving Bettystown at the same time. If people were willing to accept not to have their car waiting on the car park at work, then some system of car pooling could benefit all. I know it’s asking a big change of mentality, but why not think about it. The car pooling could as well reduce the amount of cars at the train station. Same there, people are taking the same train eveyday, and not sharing cars. Why? Are we to affraid to talk to our neighbours?
    If anyone as some ideas, could you share it with me.
    Slan,

scole1

why not put a notice up in the local shops or even contact the paper and get them to do an article, say it’s a way of saving money especially now…i think it’s mental down at the train station cars everywhere it’s bad, there’s that many people going to the train station that nobody car pools would make sense……

Jedt
    Keymaster

Has he thought about using Matthews coaches or the train or bus eireann? there are some good services from here to Dublin. I’ve gone on Matthews coaches few times and think its quick and good value.

One of those might suit him. Otherwise he could take the bike in (just kidding!!!)

Siobhan.

Fabienne

This is a group message for the answers I saw. They’re all good. The days I need the car my husband he’s taking the bus (Matthews coach) and his bike (put it in the boot of the bus), he cycles for around 15/20 min in Dublin. He doesn’t mind. See we had the same idea…
    Having a newspaper writting an article, I don’t know how…. don’t have the connections. But I think an article could benefit many people.
    He’s not looking for someone to give him a lift, but persons who have the same ideal of saving the planet, money…. and who will share cars sometime his, sometimes someone else, just not to have the feeling his asking for a lift but really sharing.

I’m just back from my holidays, and I saw outside a small village a car park for car pooling to commute to the nearest big city (Toulouse), with a big sign and all and lots of cars. I was brilliant to see that can be done.

Fabienne

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi Fabienne,

Welcome back, hope you had a lovely holiday!

You could put a note up on the commmunity noticeboard in Supervalu and one in Macaris and Centra too? They all allow you to put little notices up??

Just got that idea after reading libby’s post.

Good luck and fair play to you. My hubby and I only have one car as well and I actually walk into the village most days. It took a bit of getting used to at first but now I fly in and out without a bother!

Siobhan

newmomma

Hi Fabienne,

Maybe check out http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/rideshare_576_1.html and see if any else wants to car share or post a notice there?

I’ve never used this site so don’t know how good or reliable it is but might be worth a shot.

Fabienne

I was on that website just before I read your reply. I was there about permanent house swap. Just to look , at first, now I’m going to talk about it with hubby (nearly found what I’m looking for….).
    They don’t have anything for commuting to work, but I’m looking at other websites.
    I let you know.
    And maybe we’re going to look for a different route for commuting
    😉

Fabienne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.