Canthis be true?

Home Forums National Chat Canthis be true?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hjs

Surely not?

Surely the BBC has got its facts wrong/is choosing to misprepresent something about the law in this? The article is called "Latvia calls on Ireland to tackle sham marriages", link and a quote from below…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11792437

"Some women only find out about the sham marriage when they arrive in Ireland.

The marriages are conducted there because it is not illegal in the Irish Republic to marry in return for money. According to Latvia’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs, this anomaly is a throwback to a centuries-old Irish tradition of the bride’s wedding dowry. "

Fabienne

I hope it’s not true, but it probably is.
    Any kind of forced mariage (for money, visa, religious belief…) is wrong, and it should be taken seriously and the woman are victims and should be helped.

Fabienne

hjs

i mean the not illegal to marry for money bit…

Taylor5

i mean the not illegal to marry for money bit…

Well the Dowry was to marry for the money or land etc…. so maybe it is true. I did hear a while back on Joe Duffy how a couple who were getting married the the garda and emigration stormed the registry office…. there is a whole squad working on scam marriages, cant remember the figure i heard but it was huge!!!
    They did name countries where the brides come from Parts of Asia and Eastern European countries were top of the list

hjs

I know what a dowry is.

I mean that it’s part of the statute not to be illegal to marry for money? Weird…

Taylor5

maybe its an old law/loop hole in the law…. you just never know! I wouldnt be surprised

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.