Bullying, self harming and the fallout

Home Forums National Chat Bullying, self harming and the fallout

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

In my child’s school this week a child who has been bullied online, self harmed. She hurt herself and had to go to hospital but thankfully, is safe and at home and doing ok with her family supporting her. There was alot of upset, anguish and crying after the incident among the other students and especially her close friends

My daughter came home from school distraught because she was so terribly worried for her friend and she was sick to her stomach about it. There are rumours flying around that some students were mean to the poor girl who self harmed and this may have contributed to what happened. There have been things on social media about boys and the word ‘sl*t’ was used. I’m not sure what the school are doing, they mentioned a counsellor would come in next week to speak with the kids but they haven’t said much else yet.

We are supporting our daughter with lots of TLC and talking about it with her but its a really harrowing situation and not sure if we should be doing anything else atm to help her

any advice on how to tackle this? we’ve never been in a situation like this before?

Sabbi
    Participant

Self harming is apparently rampant in schools. its worrying that so many girls do this and it seems to normalise it somewhat. Our girls play sports and it definitely helps get their angst out. So often they say they want to quit but we don’t let them. Yeah, it may seem mean but exercise really really helps their moods and overall health, so I am ok with the odd argument about them going to training if it means they stick with it! Just yesterday my daughter had a meltdown, shouting, slamming her bedroom door because she didn’t want to go training but we stood our ground and she went – and she ended up having a great time. Its so hard trying to reason with teens. I think if your daughter is upset about something or very down, its no harm to have a chat with your GP or a parenting coach. Allen from Help Me To Parent is so good. http://www.helpmetoparent.ie

HTH a little. x

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.