Budget anti-woman & anti-family?

Home Forums National Chat Budget anti-woman & anti-family?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m just about catching up with the budget in bits & pieces & am wondering if am I missing something…. It just seems to me that the budget is wildly anti-woman & anti-family.

Child benefit down E58 for a family of four kids, back to school allowance cut & carer’s money reduced (mostly all paid to women), maternity benefit taxed & – in my case as a teacher – one month of maternity leave swiped at the stroke of a pen – even for women already on maternity leave.

Car & VRT are up – substantially on the cars that bigger families need.

Anyone else think that?
    Just wondering

Re: maternity leave changes for teachers. Just to explain that one as it took me ages to figure it out exactly. There is good maternity leave for teachers as mostly female profession & INTO strong for many years. As well as the 26 weeks, a teacher could claim up to 30 days in lieu of missed holidays (ie if maternity leave overlapped with Feb break, Easter & summer holidays, a max of 30 of these days could be added on at the end of the maternity leave). Without warning, that just disappeared, effective for any women who are on maternity leave from April. It now leaves a ludicrous situation that if I work 7 weeks longer, I end up back at work three weeks ealier. So guess who is taking earlier leave???! And the gold medal for complete lack of logic goes to the DES!

I have no problem with cut-backs lke this in principle, but to hit women whose leaves have already been approved by the department – and who are on or about to go on maternity leave – seems bonkers…. To be honest I could have done without the stress of having to resubmit my application for maternity leave to the Board of Management, the DES & Social Welfare. And I still haven’t figured out how the changes to Maternity Benefit taxation will hit me….

Jedt
    Keymaster

I’m so annoyed but more than that, disappointed. Enda Kenny had an opportunity to be creative and not screw us over on this budget and he did not take it. We are lapdogs to Europe now and he cares more about being a good boy and getting a gold star from them, than he does about the people who put him in office to sort out this mess.

I feel like I want to do something – I have been toying with the idea of running for a TD position myself to represent women, children and families in government but I just don’t know if I would be able to make any real changes. It is all so corrupt, I don’t know if it would be possible to do real good and make an actual difference.

I have a few ideas for things to do to challenge this budget and am getting some advice so watch this space….

lyn11

Was hoping to use my extra few bob from maternity pay to take unpaid leave at the end, but this government has put a spanner in the works now. I hated going back to work so early on Lorcán especially when breast feeding. No allowances are made for breast feeding mums after the baby is six months old despite all recommendations to b/f exclusively til 6 months and only introduce food after this. Impossible when you are forced back into the work force at exactly this time with no extra breaks or time to feed baby (except for civil servants who get b/f breaks til their children are 2!!) 👿 👿

lyn11

Was hoping to use my extra few bob from maternity pay to take unpaid leave at the end, but this government has put a spanner in the works now. I hated going back to work so early on Lorcán especially when breast feeding. No allowances are made for breast feeding mums after the baby is six months old despite all recommendations to b/f exclusively til 6 months and only introduce food after this. Impossible when you are forced back into the work force at exactly this time with no extra breaks or time to feed baby (except for civil servants who get b/f breaks til their children are 2!!) 👿 👿

pookie2

For the record, teachers don’t get that breast feeding lark until two – I checked with my last one…. unless something has happened in the last year? Or is my union misinformed again? Fully agree, Lyn. It is ridiculous to recommend something with one hand & prevent it happening with the other….

Bro’s missus is Swedish & they moved there recently. They were paying £600 sterling a month childcare in Scotland & now less than E100. And if you had five kids in childcare the most you would pay is E140 a month. Their version of child benefit is more than the cost of the creche – and they all get a year off maternity leave – and father’s get paid parental / paternity leave. I didn’t ask for any details because I was going green…. Is it any wonder that they have such high b/f rates?

Taylor5

Well girls this Friday at 2pm a protest at Leinster house…. we could all share a bus up to Dublin! Anyone else taking to the Streets?

lyn11

In work Taylor otherwise I would…got to keep a roof over our heads !

pookie2

Likewise – only regular income into house….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.