Brushing teeth

Home Forums National Chat Brushing teeth

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Waffy1

have been having rows with my 2 1/2 year old for the last month. He wants to do it himself which is fine but i need to get at them properly as all he’s doing is sucking the toothbrush!! He just starts screaming anytime I go near him with it!
    Any tips????

Corinne9

not sure if this will help but our 2 year 3 month old son has also been a difficult one with the toothbrushing. 🙂 what we discovered works most of the time is to brush with 2 toothbrushes (him on lap of either me or dh) – one for my son and one for the adult who’s doing the brushing. We tell him ‘we’ll do it together’ and take turns. Ok it’s your turn I say, and he goes for it (sucks the toothbrush and does a bit of brushing around). I say, wow that’s good, it’s my turn now… and he let’s me do the front back, up and down… It takes several turn-takings before we finish a good brushing, but it seems to work with less tears.
    Good luck!

scole1

yeah we do the same, with my 18 month old and did with his older brother,, now he brushes his teeth, then mommmy has a go….

Taylor5

I do have my 2 year old at the dentist every few months, i was worried about his lack of intrest in teeth cleaning, it was turning into a full on fit and both of us upset…. the dentist said a child that age just needs to be conditioned to use a brush, he said stop the fighting and make it a happytime not a horrid one. I was told just keep up the routine if she only sucks on the brush dont worry as long as he isnt upset, then work the way up to brushing just the front teeth, dont worry about the back ones (he said if worried watch the diet until teeth cleaning issue is sorted)
    Also no child under 8 should be allowed to clean own teeth and the parents should do a quick rub over the teeth after the child cleans them

I will say i did take his advice, but want happy as i had it in my head "oh he needs his teeth cleaned" But after 2 weeks he started to allow me rub his front teeth with no crying…. he stands sucking his brush and tries to spit into the sink like his brother, i find if you or a sibling clean your teeth at the same time it really helps
    Good luck and i feel your pain 🙄

pookie2

Same hassle here with two young fellas (2 & 4) – what one does, the other copies.

The solution for us was to use an electric toothbrush (just one with two heads) ‘just like mummies’. Obviously I supervise – but at least I’m not faced with clenched teeth – & it has become a part of the bathtime routine…. Whatever works! 😆

Taylor5

We use the electric brushes too… Tesco were doing BOGOF before christmas worked out about 3e each

Jedt
    Keymaster

has anyone heard of or tried tooth wipes? they are for cleaning baby/toddler teeth. might be worth a try too?

jeanette

hi

ALDI is selling the liquid flashing toothbrush from 16thjan onwards
    the flash after 1 min. lots of fun!!! well mine think so.
    o price €1.59.

Waffy1

Whats BOGOF taylor? can you gt kiddie electric toothbrushes?

scole1

BOGOF – is buy one get one free

Waffy1

thanks scole!

Taylor5

Whats BOGOF taylor? can you gt kiddie electric toothbrushes?

They are spiderman tooth brushes i think its a bit too big for ds2 mouth, but we would have world war3 every time we were cleaning teeth as ds2 wanted ds1 brush… .so we got him his own, he has a flashing brush too and he LOVES IT thats the brush that i do his teeth with (normal baby size) and he just sucks and rubs a bit with the electric one, he doesnt like it turned on 🙄 😆 😆 😆
    Anything for a peaceful life

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.