Brian Cowan

Home Forums National Chat Brian Cowan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

I will probably be shot for this but does anyone else feel even a little sorry for Brian Cowan? Now im not a fan of his or of FF, ive never voted for them in my life, but on a personal level, how much abuse can one man take??

I know, i know, that he is the leader of the country & its his job to take abuse, his party caused most of the problems, he put himself up for the job plus he is getting paid enough but still, really its a wonder that he hasn’t cracked up!!!

I cant believe he hasnt just walked due to the pressure.At the end of the day, he is just human, with feelings. He is someones son, someones husband & someones dad – they have to listen to the abuse too – it must hurt.

I do feel sorry for him & worry for him on a personal level.

He must be very mentally strong to stay put.

Taylor5

Mary im glad you posted this, i was only saying the same to my mother today…. he is human and the abuse is terrible

I feel extra sorry for Brian Lenahan, i dont know if many people know that he has cancer and is still getting treatment and has been for the past 12 months or so

Im still stunned that the Green party are like Rats jumping ship… .shame on them!!! Why now? Why not 18 months ago!!!!

I think its terrible whats happening in the Dail… can they just not let the budget happen, let the markets stabilize and pray our actions dont bring the whole of europe down

Daisy37

As a mother, I can understand what you are saying but its not as simple at that. We are in a terrible situation and we have to remember that Brian Cowen was finance minister for 4 years and in all that time, he met with the financial regulator twice? Twice!! He has to take a lot of the flack for this.

I agree it is awful for him – slagging him off does not help anyone and the way the media portrays him is terrible for him personally but when he gets pissed and stays up half the night singing before a national interview, its hard to sympathise much…

There were warning signs about the crumble for a while (hence Bertie jumping ship the way he did) but Brian Cowen did not react. He did nothing at all as finance minister.

Its awful for Brian Lenihan to inherit the mess but because was sick and is still recovering, he should be even more aware of the damage the cuts to hospitals will do. He should understand that spending 70% of funds on staffing is not money being well spent. As a cancer patient he should know better???

I think its disgraceful how the other parties are jumping ship and making the most of the situation to further their own agendas. They should all be ashamed of themselves, they all passed these budgets and said nothing constructive before, during and after it all went wrong. They just slag off whoever is in power and do not contribute to a solution. They are still not contributing to a solution, even now!!

To be honest, I cannot think of a suitable replacement for Brain Cowen. I don’t think we would have voted him as taoiseach if it had been up to us as a nation but I don’t know who else we vote in at the next election either. No one remotely ethical stands out to me – can anyone think of someone who can lead this country out of this mess????

Its the lack of accepting responsibility that drives me nuts and its in all parties- they are still not taking responsibility for taking their eye off the ball and over spending.

There is a lot of anger and even though it is not meant as a personal attack on the two Brian’s, it is going to be directed at them because they are still not managing the situation properly and now we are being controlled by the IMF and if our corporate tax rate is cut…we are in serious trouble.

We need to be positive and try to move on and while we as a people can accept we overspent ourselves and got carried away, we learned quickly have been more frugal in the past 2 years – but we are still being let down by our government.

I totally see your point and I agree, there should be less satire and attacks of a personal nature on the 2 Brian’s but come on – they should both have stepped down by now!!!! 👿

Taylor5

Dustin the turkey or your averaage housewife would do a better job…. i think this problem goes as far back as charile mcCreevy "i have the money so i’ll spend it"…. thats a quote for our former minster of finance 😯 😯 😯

EJ

I do feel sorry for Brian Lenihan, and he’s not looking too well at all this past week or so. He is an intelligent and articulate man, and I have a certain amout of respect for him.

On the other hand Brian Cowen is actually largely responsible for the mess we are in, and the irritating thing is that does not see that he is in any way to blame, and has never and never will apologise. He says he takes responsibility for his actions and that descisions are made in the best interest of the public, but as Ray Darcy said this morning, descisions are made firstly in the best interest of the party, secondly in the best interest of his getting re-elected, and way down the line comes the best interest of the public. He and his party has sold the irish people and every pol itical descision and irish cent made over to the huge banking corporations of europe. (The yes to lisbon vote is partially to blame too). He is a slovenly, bumbling, inarticulate eyesore, and he shows no respect for the people of this country.

Thats my 2 cents anyway!

yummymummy

I have NONE………..NOT ONE SHRED of sympathy for these leeches at all.

beams

I know they have caused untold damage but on a human level i too feel sorry for Brian Cowan and Brian Lenehan. How does BC sleep at night with all this pressure it must be horrendous for him…..but at the end of the day dont he and his party have alot to answer for also . I for one am very glad that the IMF are on board – although their comment about FAS last night was disturbing 😯

yummymummy

Id say they both sleep very easily what with the salaries they are on. In their nice plush houses with no worries about how they are going to heat their houses etc.

THEY let this happen to the country, they turned a blind eye till it got too bad where they had to fecking wake up.

I for one will NOT be paying no property tax and ill do time before i will. Imagine it seriously……………are they having a fricking laugh.

They deserve every bit of backlash they get!!!! The whole FF shower!!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

taylor – don’t insult the housewives (or househusbands for that matter), by comparing us with that lot, we would do a far better job if we were in charge of this country! 🙂

Just think about it…if your "average housewife/husband" was running the country, we would not be crippled with debt, be seeking ridiculous overdrafts, there would be less bickering in the dail, considerably less time off during summer and we would have stuck to our budgets in the first place and not be in this mess now!

housewives and househusbands are amazing – we run homes, look after children, manage homework, cook, clean and do all sorts of everything and all with a limited amount of time and money.

If the govt had a shred of the organisation abilities that the women & men who run homes have; they would be running this country without any flipping IMF interference!!!

Taylor5

taylor – don’t insult the housewives (or househusbands for that matter), by comparing us with that lot, we would do a far better job if we were in charge of this country! 🙂

Just think about it…if your "average housewife/husband" was running the country, we would not be crippled with debt, be seeking ridiculous overdrafts, there would be less bickering in the dail,considerably less time off during summer and we would have stuck to our budgets in the first place and not be in this mess now!

housewives and househusbands are amazing – we run homes, look after children, manage homework, cook, clean and do all sorts of everything and all with a limited amount of time and money.

If the govt had a shred of the organisation abilities that the women & men who run homes have; they would be running this country without any flipping IMF interference!!!

Sabbi that was my point… who could run the country? If we had housewives or husbands in the Dail we wouldnt be in this mess, people who know what real life is like and what its like to struggle and not live beyond your means

Anonymous
    Inactive

Watching Miriam O’Callaghan on Prime Time last night……she is some woman 😀 . She asked all the questions of Brian Lenehan that I would have asked myself…and she doesn’t stop asking because he stops answering. Loved her line that went something like.(not word for word)…..’You like history, how does it feel to be part of Irish History….part of the worst government in Irish history’. Could see him getting so annoyed with her questions but they were the questions we all want answers to. She did question about the minimum wage and social welfare cuts and how vulnerable people are becoming more vulnerable. Brian Lenehan also said everyone had to take a cut as it was everyone’s problem, but she stood her ground and asked him how he could justify that statement.

I think maybe this lady should go into politics…she has vast experience of politics, she is a hard working mum with a large family and knows the reality day to day for people. She meets people from all walks of live in her working life.

I know the man isn’t too well, one look at him would tell you that. He doesn’t have to work if he is so sick…same as anyone. But I think they are all on an ego trip at this stage, especially Brian Cowen.

EJ

Meriam would be great, but so would anyone with a bit of sense! The minimum wage is now down under €8 per hour, his wage is over €100 per hour plus expenses. And he and his public servant mates all remain untouchable thanks to the Good Friday agreement. Where’s the fairness in that? So… everyone must take a cut, except those of course working for the government:( Boo! Makes me so sick how any of them can sleep at night, or keep a straight face.

hjs

I think the powers that be are having a laff – I always think their salaries, and they are whacking, are, to some degree or other, pure profit. ieBrian Cowan, does he go tesco for weekly shop, have to run out to the barber or pay the lecky on his official resisence (like the rest of us)? Thought not. So all his salary, to some degree or other, profit, not the necessary means to live. Well for him. He doesn’t need my sympathy. Whenever he gets kicked out of office, there’s a lovely memoirs deal just waiting for him somewhere, am sure…

Taylor5

Dont forget the massive pensions… his minister of Finance one and his Taoiseachs pension too, so i dont think he will have to worry about paying his leccy bill like the rest of us idots who voted those tools into government….. he also has his accountancy firm, but for some reason i cant see it getting too much business 1 + 1 = ?…… No Brian you cant ask the Audience 🙄

Miriam is brilliant…. i’d vote for her if she threw her hat into the ring, but look what happened to George Lee

yummymummy

Wepayour expnces from our salaries why oh why when these numptys are on 100’s of thousnads do they not have to….its absalouty ridiculous. And os of the good friday agreement there salries wont be touched in the new budget.
    New entries into the civil service will have a 10% pay cut yet there is an embargo on emplyment………..do thy think we are stupid??? Like really and truly.

Im SICK of all this shite, I have turned off the news and dont read the papers anymore I cant deal with it all.

I wish he would step down…but then again who is gonna make a new leader?? They are all a shower of wankers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.