Breastfeeding at Work

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Breastfeeding at Work

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pookie2

I’m hoping to express some milk at work for the next while. I’ve found out a lot of info but need answers to two questions:

1. Can I get time / accommodation from my employer for this if my baby is over 6 months? In some places it indicates that this is only possible for babies under 6 months. Can anyone clarify this for me?

2. Does it apply if you are combine feeding??

Ta!

Taylor5

Not sure at all, maybe Caligal might have a better idea…

lyn11

The advice I have gotten is that it only applies until the baby is six months. 🙁

CaliGal

From the MATERNITY PROTECTION ACT it looks like they are only required by law to provide breaks up to the 26 week mark 🙁

http://www.thebreastway.com/index.php/b … astfeeding

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/bi … eding.html

Jedt
    Keymaster

That’s shocking, it should be up to a year. Hopefully your employer is nice enough to accommodate you. Let us know how you get on.

Fabienne

Yes it should, but it’s better here than in France. Really shocking there.
    You can take some time at work in France but that time up to 1 hour / day is deducted from your paye.
    So breasfeeding mums in France, just don’t say anything at work, hidde themselves in the toilets (toilets break are still allowed) and express, and make sure their boss or HR doesn’t know about it.
    You can take a PAID break to smoke ! but can’t be to express milk for your baby!

Pookie, best of luck with it. Wish you and your baby a long breasfeeding experience. It would be sad to stop at 6 months just because working law is not clear about it.

Fabienne

pookie2

Law a bit pointless as most maternity leave these days is 6 months. Also, not much point having gov policy backing boob feeding to at least 1, if not backing it up with legislation. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. Like giving baby health record books that only have weight graphs etc for bottlefed babies…. pure daft.

Looks like the end of the road for me & the boobs… I’ve yet to succeed at expressing & to be honest, I can’t see my boys’ secondary school with a majority male staff being sympathetic & supportive. He got the best part of seven months. Think the changeover bothering me more than him…

CaliGal

You can still do both morning and night feeds so not all is lost Pookie!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.