Book recommendations for 8 year old girl

Home Forums Movies, TV, Books & Entertainment Book recommendations for 8 year old girl

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lellykelly

Hi…..I’m looking for some recommendations for books for my 8 year old to read herself. She’s in third class and has loads of books at home. At the moment she is enjoying the Rainbow Fairies collection but she has a lot of them and the stories seem quite similiar? She also has Enid Blyton and some Roald Dahl – I was thinking of getting her more of his books but any other suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Fabienne

My 2 kids girl 9 and boy 7 just LOVE the diary of a wimpy kid.

Never thought it would be a girl book, but it works.
    You can buy the whole collection (or nearly whole) in a pack on amazon or other websites for the price of 2 books or something.

Fabienne

Yvonne

Yes agree with Diary of a wimpy kid books!

Dork diaries… Roddy Doyles childrens books were a hit with DD too.
    And David Walliams books too.

Jedt
    Keymaster

My 8 year old daughter loves the ‘Leave it to Eva’ books. She cracks up laughing reading them.

Diary of a wimpy kid is a big hit in our house too with our 10 & 8 year olds.

lellykelly

great, thanks for those recommendations! Yes I thought diary of a wimpy kid was more for boys but il pick one up and see how it goes.

I get my books from the book people and book depository websites. I find book people very good value for bundles etc and the other one for single books & there’s no delivery charge with that one even if the book itself is only two or three euro which I think is great.

I’m also looking for Irish books for her, I used to get them from a website based in bray, they had a fantastic selection but I don’t know if they are still there.

allyj

Horrid Henry is one my 8 yr old niece likes, when she takes a break from the never ending collection of rainbow fairies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jacqueline Wilson -she has a wide range of books some would be for an older age that 8 but she is very popular with girls.

Judy Blume – family themes/relationships
    Roald Dahl- Funny
    Louis Sachar- Adventure
    Anne Fine- Funny
    Marita Conlon Mc Kenna- Historical fiction

Childrens book Festival is about to kick off, so all libraries are being given booklets that suggest what books are good for certain ages.you can pick up the booklets free of charge.(Booklets are called Recommended reads)

Happy Reading 😀

Bookwitch

Don’t forget to pop into your local Waterstones if you are based near Drogheda. Not many towns are lucky enough to have such a large bookstore with a fabulous range and a fantastic kids section. Buying books from the internet can be cheaper but there is nothing to beat browsing a bookstore and encouraging our kids to do the same. Waterstones Drogheda runs a huge number of free events including Storytime every Saturday and kids writing clubs every Sunday. Our booksellers are all avid readers and our Children’s booksellers Lisa C and Maria both have masters Degrees in Children’s Literature; their insight and knowledge about children’s reading tops any website.
    My own personal recommendations for a book loving eight year old girl would be
    The Judy Moody series by Megan McDonald
    The Worst Witch Series by Jill Murphy
    The Rover Books by Roddy Doyle
    The Maisie Hitchens books by Holly Webb
    The In a Nutshell series from Poolbeg about Irish History and mythology

If you want recommendations for kids of all ages from Irish book people check out
    http://inkandpaperhearts.wordpress.com/
    http://www.gobblefunked.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.