Blounts Disease

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blounts

I have been told my 2 year old could possibly have blounts disease. I’m concerned as information I have read says early treatment is important yet his next appointment isn’t for 6 months. Has anyone had a child treated for this or know where I could go about getting a private appointment. Thanks

Taylor5

I wouldnt leave it to be honest, but dont feel forced to go private… get onto your gp and express your concerns of the long waiting list. There was a young guy on my street when we were kids, but dont think they did anything 30 years ago iykwim…..
    Good luck, 6 months seems very very long time
    Oh were you told you ds has this by the phn??? I was told by my phn that she thought my ds had cerebral palsy, turned out not to be the cases but planted a seed in my mind even if his consultant wouldnt confirm but did say it was something she wouldnt rule out…. MONTHS OF WORRY for nothing really!

Blounts

I was told by a junior orthopedicconsultant & she couldn’t give me info as she had to look it up herself! she had shown x-rays to senior consultant who gave the possible diagnosis. What worries me most is the x-ray dept didn’t do the proper x-ray needed for diagnosis & he was an early walker which is the main cause for blounts

Jedt
    Keymaster

I know its not ideal but sometimes the only way to get immediate action is to go through A&E. You can say you are worried sick and you have been told early intervention is essential and you cannot possibly wait 6 months. Once you get into A&E, the docs are usually good at getting x-rays sorted and admissions where possible and they will often schedule any necessary procedures much quicker.

A member of the HSE actually told me that going through A&E is often a quicker way of getting looked at – they know its not the best way but with the state of our health system, if it works, I would give that a shot.

You sound really worried and you do not have the information and support you need right now and a 6 month wait is not going to help that. Be pushy where you can…this is your child and they need to do better than fob you off with not enough information and a lengthly wait.

Good luck.

suzieQ

If your doing it through OLOL you would be worthwhile speaking to your GP about getting an appt with the PAU (paediatric assessment unit). They are brilliant I cannot praise them enough.
    the only problem is your GP has to ring. Just express your concerns and the GP shouldnt have a problem.

Hope this helps
    SuzieQ

Blounts

Thanks for your advise. I will take him to my GP and get him to contact the hospital. As there is no way we are going to wait 6 months.

Fingers crossed!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Just be determined…call every day if you have to. Its madness but that’s the way the health system is in this country.

There is a group called ‘Patients together’ who may also be able to give you some advice. They work with the HSE (although sometimes probably feels like they are working against the HSE & Govt) to get better information and treatment for patients.

It’s worth giving them a call or email, they may be able to make some suggestions we did not on here. Their website is http://www.patientstogether.com/

Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.