Biting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

My 16 month old dd has started biting everyone the last week or so.

I know that she is teething badly but she seems to see biting as a funny thing to do, no matter how we scold her. Then she is so young i dont know if she even gets that we are giving out to her. Im at a loss, we’ve all been biten & its very painfull. She takes us by surprise. She does it at the madess times, she bit my dhs finger in mass on christmas eve – he said it was agony & he couldnt even react in mass. She has biten my shoulder while i was hugging her. She bit my ds toe.

Im so afraid that when she goes back to creche next week after the holidays, that she will start biting the kids there.

Not sure what to do as my ds never bit anyone, so never had to deal with this before – any idea on how to deal with it?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Our daughter went through a stage of biting when she was 2, it was a nightmare, we tried naughty step and putting her to her room and explaining that it is hurtful to do this. We did put her finger in our mouths a fewtimes and said we were going to bite her if she did it again to try and make her understand – but we never actually went through with it – although the threat seemed to work to an extent and did make her think about what she was doing and she eventually grew out of it

Some people say if you actually bite your child that will teach them what it feels like and may scare them into stopping – but its hard to do that as no parent wants to hurt their own child deliberately 🙄

good luck, hopefully its just a little phase and she will grow out of it soon.

boo

We went through this with our daughter at a similar age. If you are holding her and she bites just put her down and say no biting and leave it at that, hopefully she will soon get the message. She is too young to understand and if you say too many words she will just get confused, usually they realise that they are not getting attention and will stop. This works for hair pulling too.

You also have to watch where her mouth is all the time to avoid what happened at mass. See if you can get her to play with a teething toy if you think her teeth are annoying her.

Good luck, don’t worry this will pass soon and she will probably start some other charming little behaviour to keep you on you toes!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.