be wary

Home Forums National Chat be wary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    scole1

well why wouldnt you think she lived there…. she is good

scole1

be wary of people knocking on doors looking for sponsorship for walks etc etc…there are people going around saying doing walks but not really…so ask for id charity number and DO NOT GIVE THEM CASH THEN AND THERE…

scole1

good amount of people in our estate got done person collecting gave number of house various numbers called to the house and the person not livingthere….

Taylor5

I get calls like this every week, but its the local neighbours with a manky A4 page

I did hear a story like this a while back on Joe Duffy a girl driving a black Golf, but they never traced her as nobody got the reg number…. terrible to think in the current climate that folks are getting scammed

Jedt
    Keymaster

We always get kids we don’t know, who don’t live in our estate, calling looking for money for walks and things and we just say no.

We support our own school as much as we can and we support a lot of worthy charities too but when its someone we don’t know, even if its kids, we say no. I used to feel a bit bad about it but now that we have 3 kids in school/playschool, there is plenty for us to sponsor and support with that!

scole1

but the gas thing was she gave the number of the house that she said she lived in luckily i never gave money but called aroudn to the said house she didn’t live there, other neighbours said she gave them different numbers…and she called as settling kids to bed so you would be distracted…i don’t give at doors sign anythign but try and support the local kids…so when a grown up speaking well and dressed nicely you second guess, especially when says hi my name is x i live in x no house you think ah maybe she does….

rossylisa

I never sponser anyone that calls to the door adults or children. I used to but when you have 20 kids from the same school you soon get pissed of 😆 :lol:> I dont let DD go out sponsering around doors either. She has a ms readton one at the moment and asked could she go around with it but no she can ask family

Taylor5

Rossy my sister is the same, she said if her kids go calling to doors then the neighbours kids come to her… she said its better for her just to put 20 euro or so down and then get family to do the rest

Moonflower

i am terrible like this…i always give even a couple euro to any callers…DH goes mad so now i send him to door & he says no…but will try & be stronger now as its not fair sending children round door to door & as for the travellers christmas party..i always used to give until they tried to steal DS’s little table & chair set from our front garden….

gullible i was..gullible no longer (well trying)

scole1

have to say this particualr incident really has annoyed me how someone could be so brassen and call to the door, with a children’s charity to say the least and take money from people….i was so annoyed….

in the end i gave the money that i was going to give plus a little extra for a local charity got the goods and delivered myself so to know it was actually going to a cause….

but really i am so annoyed cannot believe people would do this, morals i think out the window 😈 😈 😈

Financial Companion
    Participant

It’s not just people looking for money to be wary of, often there are callers offering services, such as to clean windows or clean cobble locking driveways, obviously there are some genuine ones, but it’s also commonly used to check if anybody is home. One called to our neighbours recently and because she had been sick in bed, took a while to get to the door, by the time she did, the guy was going around the side with a ladder. When she questioned him, he said "your dad told me to just do the windows if there was no answer"! She told him he would not have said that and he vanished off the road very quickly! Golden rule at doorstep is not to give out any personal information. So even if someone is from Sky or o2 etc. you don’t have to tell them who you are with, or how many people in the house etc. It doesn’t take long to build up a profile if you answer too many casual questions!

Taylor5

It’s not just people looking for money to be wary of, often there are callers offering services, such as to clean windows or clean cobble locking driveways, obviously there are some genuine ones, but it’s also commonly used to check if anybody is home. One called to our neighbours recently and because she had been sick in bed, took a while to get to the door, by the time she did, the guy was going around the side with a ladder. When she questioned him, he said "your dad told me to just do the windows if there was no answer"! She told him he would not have said that and he vanished off the road very quickly! Golden rule at doorstep is not to give out any personal information. So even if someone is from Sky or o2 etc. you don’t have to tell them who you are with, or how many people in the house etc. It doesn’t take long to build up a profile if you answer too many casual questions!

Very good point, doesnt take long to build a profile…. my mothers neighbour goes to bingo every thursday and 3 of the bingo ladies houses were broken into over the past 2 weeks…. someone local has to be watching the oap’s movement

Financial Companion
    Participant

Many people don’t realise how much information they give out unneccessarily. I called to an appointment recently that had phoned me the day before, they were suprised that I arrived with specific quotes with their correct dates of birth that they hadn’t yet given. I showed them how it only took me 30 seconds on facebook to get their dates of birth. With so many people using a variety of online services, you really need to be cautious how much info you give away, and especially to strangers calling at your door.

scole1

omg yeah you never really think of that…will be very wary from now on….

Taylor5

I did hear a guy on the G Ryan show, he went to a bit more of the extreme…. his friend was saying he is very careful about his information etc… but from his bins this man could get his social ins no, credit card number and other information

i have travellers living across the road, i was very alarmed when the young daughter called and asked could i ring a taxi for the mother.. no problem its nice to help others,… i did ask why she passed 10 houses before getting to my house. she told me her brother siad "oh that woman is always in at THIS TIME OF THE DAY!"….. If he knows when im in he knows when im out!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.