Back Garden

Home Forums National Chat Back Garden

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    libby1
    Participant

Anyone got their back garden – decked – looking for contacts please –
    would love to get it done soon

Taylor5

Libby i got mine done her about 4 years ago, Ardin in the hill or rath are brilliant for decking, the decking i got is top quality not like the shite some of the shops sell, i know the prices are rock bottom at the moment…. if your looking for someone to fit it i will pm you two lads who are brilliant at that sort of work
    http://www.build.ie/company_493487.htm

Babs

I just got mine done….and the difference is amazing…the kids can now play out there on their bikes, play football in all weathers…and I cannot wait to have my first BBQ…we got it done by a fantastic guy who is great value, also he hasthe contacts to get you the decking at a good price…we priced around and found that it varies hugely….he is definitely the best value and brilliant at what he does….PM me if you want his number, and you’re welcome to see ours before you go ahead!!

libby1
    Participant

Thanks Girls really appreciate this……

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I have a deck and a patio – I find that the deck is high maintenance. It has to be cleaned and painted every year to keep it protected from the weather. It can also be quite slippy when wet. You can get stains/oils that treat this but you cannot treat your deck for a year after you have it installed – that was the advice that we were given anyhow.

The patio gives the same useable outdoor space with very little maintenance – brush it and put some sand over it every few years. It is more expensive but we got a cobblelock patio instead of paving slabs – much cheaper.

Moonflower

i would agree..we got decking in our last 2 houses & yes it looked lovely to start with but did need a lot of upkeep and the thing that puts me off the most when we had decking outside we had mice inside & rats outside but when we got rid of our decking in this house no more mice or rats…

but if u could sort that problem out i would agree there is nothing like decking outside….

Taylor5

Back to my point the better the Deck you buy the less treatment it needs, our deck from Ardin is Kilen (sp) dried, we had it down about 3 years before it was treated, just got a deck cleaner in woodies and gave a good wash and steamclean, then it got 2 coats of a really good brand (on offer in woodies) its done nearly 12 months now and i’d say it wouldnt need treatment for another 2 or more years… if you get a decking oil it soaks into the wood giving better protection thus meaning treatment lasts longer
    We have 2 decks in the garden, we did have rats under the shed… never at the decking as its all blocked up iykwim…. we do have mice around every now and then when the farmers plough the fields

patios are lovely, my neighbour as a beautiful one but im a decking person… think its like cat and dog people, you like either one or the other…
    Libby i spoke to dh about that guys number, he said he wouldnt recommend him as a fitter, he seen some work he did a few months ago and the finsh wasnt great…. i do have a number for a Russian man, he is gifted with his hands and his work is amazing, also he is very very cheap for DIY work

mammycool
    Participant

ha – I know exactly what you mean! Hubby wanted a deck and I wanted a patio. My dh is a very lazy git when it comes to diy and general maintenance – I had visions of me out there cleaning and painting this deck – which I must say did actually happen!!!!!

Taylor5

Libby was up in B&Q this evening, we needed a bit of extra to extend the deck at the back of the garden (to make safer for kids) and to make raised planting beds.
    I tried Ardin and the phone sounds like its disconnected, got prices in all local suppliers Wogan on the Ballymakenny road the cheapest… but b and q had 8ft planks for 5.30 plus 20% off this weekend, when we got to the till the decking was scanning at 4.25 a plank PLUS THE 20% OFF. It might be worth taking a spin up and picking up your decking at that price

Also if you must spend over 100e to the the 20% off, plus you get a 10% off loyality card that is valid until the end of May… happy days

libby1
    Participant

Taylor just seen this know
    Hubby would do garden but the way he works now … wouldn’t get it finished

My sister back to states on Tuesday. will have a look than, Thanks

We had a deck put in the year U2 played in Slane [whenever that was!] & the structure is solid & well put together. Holdcroft Garden Sheds, Collon did the work & many carpenters have commented on the workmanship since.
    Re. Rats & mice; The advice we were given was to have the deck high enough off the ground to allow space for a cat to get under.
    Re. Maintainence; I went to a well known hardware store & was given advice on a stain, after 6 months it was peeling off. It did not do what it said on the tin [if you get my drift!]. The company involved eventually sent out someone to strip off the stain & the guy doing the work said we should have used oil. I last treated ours last year & before that about 3 years ago.
    Re. Slippy surface; We don’t use ours in winter,it is also deeply grooved & in full sun, so there is no moss. I have been on decks where it was like an ice rink in winter.

Maybe give Keiran Holdcroft a call, I don’t know if they still do decking, but I am sure he would advise you.

Taylor5

We have one in full sun and one in shade no moss on either but some winter mornings can be like an ice rink!!!
    I agree we used the stain and it peeled after about 5 months, we got an Oil in Woodies and its brilliant. Oil are a bit more expensive but sooo worth it

mammycool
    Participant

Hi,

Ours is in full sun. We have used both the oil and last year the stain(as I could not remember which we had used before) – anyhow, the stain is still on but the whole thing needs to be re-done as the kids did a job on it with sand, the snow and frost were sitting on it over the winter.

Rats & mice – we have not had any. The deck is very tight to the ground – no space for anything to get under. The neighbours behind us have two cats and they tend to walk over the wall and past the deck several times a day – so this could also be the reason.

No moss or algae either – possibly because the deck is in full sun or what we have treated it with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.