Baby sitting club!

Home Forums Louth Chat Baby sitting club!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

Hi mammies
    I posted this up a few years ago but never did anything more about it, so now a few of us know each other better I’m going to try again and it might take off now as there is a recession iykwim

I was thinking of starting a babysitting club, where you baby sit for FREE but pay the favour back to your babysitter… we could either babysit for that person or you could use a barter system ie if you have a business you could say give a free wash and blowdry or money off to the value of the babysitting
    I think if intrested we could just work on you babysit for me I’ll babysit for you for the first while…
    Its great that its free and you have a mother looking after your kids not some teenager… dont know about you but my kids alway get sick before a big night out :roll:

What do you think? Would you be intrested in this

trixiebell
    Participant

hi taylor, think this is a good idea, especially when you know the person in the flesh, i said it to DH and he thinks its a great idea as well.

hjs

Family friend of mine back in Uk said this is what she did 15-20 yrs ago when hers were small and it was a PHENOMENAL SUCCESS.

You basically earn points or something, and traded them in against whoever was free or something? Bit hazy on the details but could check…

Think the only potential issue may be keeping good track, good records if it’s not a direct trade between a pair but is done among a group, but again, not ultra sure. In fact, thinkin about it, I actually know feck all other than yes, I would love to have someone babysit mine for the price of me going and sitting in their tidier, more stylish and less pumkin strewn (or other seasonal evidence) des res containing less demonic children than my own. (not selling the prospect of coming to mine much there, really, I do have vatfuls of medised, I depoly readily…)

Can’t wait to see the gen feeling…

yummymummy

you asked for opnions..i shall oblidge 🙂

not something id be interested in now at all. i suppose im lucky in that being split form my sons dad that i have a babysitter on tap and his family and my family too. Only twice have i had to pay someone to mind ds and that was my little brother 🙄 . and if doea happen to be sick then who better to spend the time with than his dad ha ha.

but i think if a family had more than one child i know its hard to get both/more minded so this could be a great idea and just may well work. if i fitted into the above category id only consider it if i knew the person in the flesh!

Taylor5

Yummy that great that you have your ex and your brother, in my case I have NOBODY to mind my kids 😥 😥 😥 To go out tomorrow night my 70 year old mother is coming up from Dublin and then she has to stay over, she is great for doing it but its just the hassell that I cant do anything without notice iykwim.

Im laughing at the idea of saying to the nannies "oh some girl off the internet is minding the kids" 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Hjs thats sounds like a good idea but dont know how we would keep track of points etc… maybe for the first while if its just a straight swap you sit for me I’ll sit for you job, maybe with ground rules that you have to use the favour withinn a month (just so you dont have a favour hanging over your for months and months)

scole1

my MIL dod this too when they first had kids, in england too and she said each of them would keep a book in the house, they would devise a points system for minding, from the time start til end, and then they would also have meet ups together and swap totals and then work out when they would be heading out, they used to give a few extra points for birthdays etc…

i think it is a good idea, however i would be a bit ify, i would have to know the kids as well as the mom to make sure that i would feel comfortable allowing me to sit their kids and also make sure the kids would be comfortable with me….some people i would have no problem minding their kids but not them minding mine…i know sounds silly but you always know someonw you would say eh no thanks…..

i babysat for years and never thought of the issue of babysitting and people with kids heading out and needing a sitter that was/is reliable and now as a mom i see the need to check everything….i’m luckyi have inlaws and my parents nearby to due duties, and infairness we don’t take advantage…

i have no problem nbabysitting kids, but would hate to babysit for kids that would be right buggers, never sleep and winge, sort nightmare considering mine go to bed at 8 and sleep the night so easypeesy…. 😉 😆

hjs

Taylor,

i agree, keep it simple in pairs maybe, just swapping the sitting favour within the month, effectively, keep it simple.

Poss an exceptionally good idea to pitch to us "blow-ins" with no immediate support network.

My kids in bed and spark out by 8 at latest now – the 1 advantage of these horrid long nights! That’s my sales pitch – my bomkers boy is ADORABLE when he zoned out!

I’m in…

Taylor5

My mental kids are great at going to bed but if a stranger was in teh house, you would get the grand tour… this is the bath (shows everyone) this is the hotpress, this is myroom, this is mammys room etc…. I know he would be HYPER…. so I think I’d put mine to bed first 😆 😆 😆

hjs

DITTO

scole1

lol, if kids didn’t sleep would find them spraked out, and me drunk lol….

did mind kids that were flaming nutters, one even tried climbing out the window, the other locked his brother in the room and i was panicking, granted i was a teenager that’s why perhaps i’m afraid of mad kids… 😆

also better if they are asleep going out, otherwise they’d make you feel realy guilty going out…

yummymummy

does no one trust teenagers anymore????? or is cos the price has gone to high to get them to sit for you???

i was 13 when i started babysitting…….for a night nurse…i used to stay over in her house (only across road form my mam) and mind her twins, get them up for school, breakfast etc andget myself ready for school for £10 a night!!???!!! then i used to babysit for my parents friends when their baby was 5 months old…………used to give the baby her last feed…i was 14!!!!!! babysat her till i was 17 and was preg myself(she just turned 4…had to tell them so they could get someone else ya know) and got £10 for that job too…..

I have to say even when i was with my ds dad we never paid a babysitter..it was always his mam or my mam that looked after him, he stayed over with them…we had lie in etc……………..id hate to think it be any diff.
    although if i had another i think it be very diff obviously not having the same dad, but i know my mam would be there……….i dont think things will change when my bro has his baby next year in so much as my mam will take him/her when she is free……as i have never ever taken advantage…only ask my mam when i am stuck…which is very rarely lately as ds dad gf is preg so they have no life as such hahaha.

what has happened to the teenage babysitting jobs…….im only 26 but that is how we made our money as teenagers!!!!

scole1

i madea fortune babysitting, i started at the age of 11 yeah imagine 11, i was babysitting for one couple for nearly 10yrs, babysat their 2nd child from when she was 3 weeks old, i would also mind the kids for weekends while they went away got paid a rake of money, but they would leave a school girl with their kids, granted they knew me and my mom and mom was always at the end of the phone if needed….but still,only finished babysitting them when moved here 5yrs ago….

i think nowadays teenagers some don’t really care and don’t want to babysit, too into hanging out with friends than minding smelly kids, but some are doing it, but the main thing here is alot of people are blow ins so don’t know the local kids, and sometimes don’t even know their neighbours so that’s when things get hard you can’t ask anyone if they know such and such and if they are reliable etc…..i look at some of the teenagers around here and say no way would i have them babysit, and then i see some and say she looks like a nice girl i wonder what her mom would say if asked her to babysit….so it’s a toughy

Taylor5

Its about 10 euro an hour and you also have to pay the taxi home, so its all adds up to a pricy night out

yummymummy

aw i babysat my little brother from when i was 9…..with no pay!!!!!!!!

babysat one new years eve and got £15….thought i was rich!!! madness

never had to bother with new years as my dad sings so my mam never goes out but in saying that i sat in last year.

it is hard for blow ins etc…..but if they really want a babysitter they will try and find a way to meet people to find out.

€10 an hour i would in my ass….i gave my bro €20 for the couple of times he minded j……and that was him staying over and givng him his bf the next day and me leaving bro home and getting dinner in my mams haha.

its a tough call for people out there who dont have family etc………..there are alot of adds about the shops and in papers and im nearly sure there is a website ofr babysitters………..im sure u could interview them just like u would a childminder??

scole1

i know 10e an hour, one girl locally posted a note saying 7.50e an hour…so that’s ok i suppose, but yeah the thoughts of being on the clock especially when money is tight ya think would i bother….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.