Are ‘shingles’ contagious?

Home Forums National Chat Are ‘shingles’ contagious?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

My 19 year old sister is very sick at home with shingles and I am just wondering if this is contagious? I was going to go and visit her tomorrow but don’t want to catch it – I don’t think I had chickenpox as a child

anyone know anything about this?

Almae

A person who has never had Chicken Pox can catch it from contact with shingles.

You cannot catch shingles from contact with shingles or Chicken Pox. Shingles is much less contagious than Chicken Pox.
    Persons with shingles can only transmit the virus if blisters are broken. New-borns or those with decreased immunity are at the highest risk of contracting Chicken-Pox from someone who has shingles.

dangerous for pregnant women

libby1
    Participant

I got chicken pox when i was younger and caught Shingles twice…

super minder

yes im freckey too so doc sent my blood test away to double check as he said you shouldnt get them more than once.

becareful. ring or email her . sorry

Jedt
    Keymaster

Thanks girls, the doc says shes not contagious anymore but I’ll steer clear for a few days just to be safe…

Taylor5

Anyone who had chicken pox can get shingles, the chicken pox virus stays in your system in a dormant nature… stressed, low immunity can contract shingles, you dont need to be in contact with someone with shingles to get an outbreak.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.