Anyone Have an Au Pair – Drogheda Area

Home Forums Louth Chat Anyone Have an Au Pair – Drogheda Area

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

Hi there,

Thinking about getting an Au Pair, anyone have one or any experience with one?

What placement company did you use?

Kind Regards,
    Edel

Jedt

Check with Egewater college, think they might be able to help you. They are really lovely and very helpful, you can contact Danielle on danielle@edgewater.ie

HTH 🙂

MaryE

Thanks sabbi

do Edgewater do Au Pairs now, arent they just a college for foreign students? I use to be a host family for some of their students when i saving for my wedding, many moons ago.

Jedt

I think they do, if my memory serves me correctly (no guarantee on that though!!) they were looking to place some Au Pairs last year.

Danielle should be able to advise you, HTH

lellykelly

Hi MaryE, I am in Laytown & have an au pair. When I contacted Edgewater last year they told me that tht=ey did not place au pairs just put an ad up on the notice board of familieis looking for them. I used a website in the end after recommendations from others in my daughters school. If you want any more info or have any other questions, just ask!! X

MaryE

Thanks. Lellykelly, would you mind pming methat website? Where is your aupair from? what age is she? how long is she staying?

Jedt

Lellykelly, if you don’t mind can you post that website up here, might be helpful to some other mums too. Thanks.

Taylor5

my friend has one and im thinking of going back to work, if i do im getting one… she uses french and german girls, they are all lovely, she uses a Dublin agency. I could get the details for you if you wish, they are all vetted in their home countries etc
    She pays 100e per week inc bed and board, they do 2 night baby sitting a week and 2 days off per week and light housework. She doesnt get her girls to do much, they just hang about with us, they come on nights out with us and on days out they help with all the kids.

MaryE

Yeah, if you could find out the agency that would be great thanks Taylor.

LocalMum

Hi MaryE

My Au Pair just started last week and I found her via http://www.aupair-world.net. We posted our requirements and paid €39 for a 6 week period. With this I had access to all registered Au Pairs. This site was recommnded by a number of frineds who had previously used Agencies (unsucessfully). We are onlyat the start of this new experience but our Spanish Au Pair is lovely, she is 24 and able to drive. I have a 6 year old & a 2 year old and already the Au Pair is spending time by herself with them. My 2 year old is slightly more cautios with the change but we are gently introducing the change.
    Some key tips I was given – write clear guidelines about your expectations and the routine you want the Au Pair to keep to.
    Good luck with your search.

lellykelly

Yeah of course – the website I used was newaupair.com – I know that others in my estate also use kangaroo aupair or aupair world. I looked into the agencies but felt that they were expensive for the placement, its between 500 and 700 but i know that some people do prefer to use them. Our first girl was French but she had to go home after 6 weeks for medical reasons and the second girl is Spanish. Personally speaking I will be going for a Spanish girl again the next time. The first girl we had was 26 the girl we currently have is 28 – I was surprised at how old the girls are but the unemployment rate in Spain for 20-30 year olds is almost 50%. The girl we have now has two Masters but cannot get a job as the only people employing in Spain are multi national companies & you need to have fluent English tosecure an interview never mind a job.

While I was upset when the first girl went home I think that it taught me a valuable lesson – the whole set up is temporary in nature even if it is for a year at a time and no matter where you get the girls from, there is no guarantee that it will work out. I had bent over backwards with the first girl but with the second one I was much more hands off. Other mams in the estate have said that while it can be great to get a good qu pair if they stay too long it can be very hard on the family to re-adjust when they leave.

Anyway I pay 110 a week. My husband does shift work so some weeks our au pair does 9 hours some weeks she does over 3 and we hardly ever ask her to babysit. At the start I contacted an agency to ask how shift work would work with the amount of hours they are supposed to do a week & they said that once they do the same amount over a month (135 hours) or two monthly basis (270 hours), then its fine.

Hope that helps, any other questions give me a shout!

lisa

lellykelly

just saw u asked how long she is staying – she arrived in november & had said initially that she would stay unitl this november but she is thinking of going home in June/July instead. In a way I would prefer that as it gives us some time during the summer without someone living in the house & it means that when the new one starts she will have well settled in by the time she goes home for christmas 🙂

Taylor5

MaryE will you be at the coffee morning tomorrow?

MaryE

Thank you for introducing me to your friend Taylor. It was great tot alk to someone.

Taylor5

Thank you for introducing me to your friend Taylor. It was great tot alk to someone.

no problem, i hope she could help you…. any questions just ask, i will pass on her number if you need it, Good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.