Any tips for potty training?

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Any tips for potty training?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    julymam

Trying to train our ds, he’s 2yrs and 3 mths and has been telling me to change his nappy the last week or so…so thought it would be a good time to start as its warm enough to leave his nappy off and while i’m still off work.

So i’ve left his nappy off today, I have a potty in our sitting room as the toilet is upstairs, he’s after weeing twice this morning in the space of 20 mins on the floor :( I know he’s only starting and he doesn’t know any different. If anyone can give me some tips that would be great ;)

ArtyMum

I think just be patient, every child is different. DD had it down in a few days where as DS took ages!

I found the potty not to work though, they hated going in it, wanted to be on the big toilet. So I got two of the kiddie steps, the ones that look like a wee ladder with handles and a kiddie seat that sits over the big one. They loved it and it really helped.

Best of luck with it anyway, it will be sooo worth it in the end!

ellokittee

The "checklist" that was suggested to me (and I wish I had heeded it, pushed my DD a bit too hard at the beginning when she wasn’t ready, and set us back to not being trained until after she turned 3). Every child is different, though! Patience is the key, and if they are reluctant or shy away from a step, ease off and try again another week.

Physical signs

Is coordinated enough to walk, and even run, steadily.

Urinates a fair amount at one time.

Has regular, well-formed bowel movements at relatively predictable times.

Has "dry" periods of at least three or four hours, which shows that his bladder muscles are developed enough to hold urine.

Behavioral signs

Can sit down quietly in one position for two to five minutes.

Can pull his pants up and down.

Dislikes the feeling of wearing a wet or dirty diaper.

Shows interest in others’ bathroom habits (wants to watch you go to the bathroom or wear underwear).

Gives a physical or verbal sign when he’s having a bowel movement such as grunting, squatting, or telling you.

Demonstrates a desire for independence.

Takes pride in his accomplishments.

Isn’t resistant to learning to use the toilet.

Is in a generally cooperative stage, not a negative or contrary one.

Cognitive signs

Can follow simple instructions, such as "go get the toy."

Understands the value of putting things where they belong.

Has words for urine and stool.

Understands the physical signals that mean he has to go and can tell you before it happens or even hold it until he has time to get to the potty.

ellokittee

oh, yes, my DD hated the "baby" potty as well, so the second time around, we just went right for the toilet. Saves having to "retrain" for going potty outside of the house, too!

Taylor5

I started to potty train my ds in or around his second birthday and i so regret it as it set him back a good few months, plus he was 3 and 2 months when a new baby arrived, so dont know if it was me being pregnant or starting potty too early but it did set us back a good few months.

Ds2 is now 2 and 8 months, he did start to wee in the potty from before 2, but not potty trainned, he still wears a nappy… he does say "i dont want nappies" But my problem is he wont use a potty and he will only wee standing up 👿 👿 👿 I have just given up tbh as i cant deal with the standing up bit, i was waiting for ds to start school hoilday and just take the nappyies away.

I you want to stick with it, get him to sit on the potty every 20 mins and have sticker chart and rewards. Give it a few days but he is still very young

julymam

Thanks for your replies, i dont think he’s ready yet so gonna leave it for a couple of mths 🙂
    As a few people have said if you start them when they’re not ready it can set them back so ill wait til i feel he’s a bit more ready 😉

mammycool
    Participant

They are all very different. Girls appear to be more keen than boys. My ds was 2 yrs and 4mths when I trained him. He had been talking about it for months before that. I did try him on the pullups but they were a waste – he just thought he was in a nappy. Anyhow, he had the idea within 3 days and never looked back.

My dd is 2yrs and 3 mths. Yesterday, I was shopping and bought her pants – with the intention of training her in August when I was off. Anyhow, when I got home, she told me that she wanted pants. Within 15 minutes, she ran off to the potty and did her business. She came running back to tell us – we did not believe her but went to see anyway and were totally amazed. Anyhow, she now refuses to wear her nappy. She had one accident yesterday – she made it to the loo but could not get the pants down quick enough – she was not impressed. Last night, she decided she had to do her poo and off she went.

I had to send her to the minder today – so I went out and bought pullups cos she does not want a nappy and is not what I would consider trained. She was busy pulling them up and down for a while before she went off – hopefully, it went well.

beams

Like alot of people i started my DS when he was around 2 and 3 mths old. He was well able to tell me when hewas doing a wee or wanted to do a poo even though it was in his nappy . So i tried him but he really wasnt able for it – i didnt insist and he was back in his nappy. Tried him again at 2 and 6 mths but the same result. Now since Wed (hes 2 and 9 mths) we have started and he has taken to it straight away – we have made massive leaps from going in the potty on day one , to doing a poo in the potty day two and being able to do a wee in the big toilet standing up on day three so we actually got out and about on day three !! Thrilled hes doing a great job. All children are different – my DD was trained at 2 and 6 mths . So we are now officially nappy free – just go with your instinct and with the child dont force things – it will happen naturally 😀

My child is toilet training (weeing only) during the day. she will go in the big toilet no probs. but when it comes to doing her no 2’s she is so stubborn. knows when she wants to do it but wont do it and doesnt rell me untill after she does it in her knickers. any suggestions on how to convince her to tell me before she goes poo!!
    also i want to start night time training(i do put pull ups on her in bed at night). i really want her to be out of the pull ups altogther before i due my next baby in may. plus i need her to be doing both no 1 and no2 in the toilet herslef by tie i send her to playschool. any tips wud be grratly appreciated. she will be 3 and half in january.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.