anti-natal apts in louth hosp?

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pregnancy & Birth anti-natal apts in louth hosp?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    momof3+bump

hi

can anybody share their experience going public in olol in the last few years?
    if your living in dundalk or surrounding area can you still attend the louth hospital for your appointments appart from 20 week scan (im guessing this is in olol)? had my 1st 2 boys 10 years ago and 8 years ago in louth and olol public and went private in olol with ds #3 who is now 6months! oh and im not allowed into the mlu!! :lol: ( 2 many complications with ds #1)!! 6 weeks now with #4 and going public due to recession!! :lol:

looking forward to hearing all your stories :D

LouthMam

Congratulations on your pregnancy momof3&bump!
    I’m attending The Louth on the public system for the third time in 4 years. I’m doing combined care with my GP so alternate appointments between the two.
    My appointments so far have been:
    GP at 5 wks to confirm pregnancy – Free (some docs charge for this initialvisit but my GPs never have)
    Louth at 15 wks – booking in appointment – quite long 3+ hrs
    Gp at 20wks
    Louth at 25wks
    GP at 29wks
    Louth at 33wks
    GP at 35wks
    Louth at 37wks – can’t remember exactly after this but know I will be seen every week from here on out.
    Post natal – the GP will see me FOC at 2wk and 6wk check-up.

I think 7 free visits to the GP are included in combined care. Things like the flu vaccine are charged for.

The Louth is always busy but I usually get in and out within 1.5 – 2hrs. Service there has improved drastically since I had my first baby in 2008.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more specific info,
    LM.

momof3+bump

hi louthmam,

thanx so much for the info 🙂 very helpful.. you may not feel comfortabe sharing this info which if so i totally understand but was wondering is your doc dr mishra by any chance? or do u know if she charges for this first visit? just moved to her recently and didnt feel comfortable asking over the phone 🙂 thanx for your help so far 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

We went private at OLOL on our daughter and it was a total waste of money, ended up without our consultant at birth (thankfully it was straightforward so did not need her) and ended up staying in a public ward because no private ones available. To be honest, we were very well looked after so did not actually need to go private, the public services were fine. Once you get a good midwife, you’ll be grand!

combined care is a great option as most of your visits are with GP, so easier when you have other LO’s to think of

we had home birth last time which was lovely and covered by a HSE grant. not everyone’s cup of tea but worked well for us, especially nice not having to go to the hospital often.

HTH and good luck!!

Taylor5

I went public on both mine 6 and 3 years ago…. i got brilliant care, i couldnt fault the hospital.

Good luck x

momof3+bump

hi sabbi ,
    same thing happened me with private in olol dr akpan was not there but got dr jerling who was on call for him and i was actually happier with her being there than if he had have been there as she was amazing the midwife i had maria was just lovely i had a wonderful experience with them..

momof3+bump

hi taylor5
    thanx thats reassuring to know 🙂 looking forward to it now! it costs way 2 much going private.. not worth it unless you need special care or have worries from a past public experience, which i had with my last but after having a successful and straight forward labour with ds #3 im confident in myself again and am looking forward to the next 8 1\\2 months 😀

thanx again

Taylor5

hi taylor5
    thanx thats reassuring to know 🙂 looking forward to it now! it costs way 2 much going private.. not worth it unless you need special care or have worries from a past public experience, which i had with my last but after having a successful and straight forward labour with ds #3 im confident in myself again and am looking forward to the next 8 1\\2 months 😀

thanx again

I had two nightmare labours/sections (due to health condition) and the care i got still amazes me…. i could have gotten better care if i was private, the consultant took a great intrest in my condition, even as a public paitent she stayed behind while my section was going on (she didnt do it the understudy did operation) She did pop her head in the door and said "all is going well, im not needed, Congratulations and im heading home for my dinner, i will call into see you in the morning" 😆 😆 😆
    I wasnt just a number, she did hang about as she was my doctor, i was impressed as i dont think she had to do that.
    Good luck xxx

momof3+bump

Thanx taylor5 thats good to know 🙂
    thanx for sharing your story im getting very excited now!!

snowdrop

Hi Mum of three and bump,
    I had an okay expierence in OLOL but recently I needed to attend the maternity section and have to say they are under staffed and over strecthed beyond belief. In june 2011 I had a bleed at 11 weeks, went to gp who referred me to the EPU. I arrived at the EPU and was redirected to the A&E and after 3hrs sitting bleeding in A&E got redirected back to the EPU to be told I couldnt be scanned until two days times as they are booked but if the bleeding got worse to go back to A&E. I went home and was back in the A&E four hours later again no scan and eventually got sent home after 2 hours still none the wiser. Ended up miscarring that night at home. I didnt bother calling OLOL and got a private appt in Mount Carmel the following morning for 8am. Scan, consult with doctor on call and home by 11am all for 95euro.
    I think the care in OLOL is shabby and not the fault of the satff but the hospital protocol. It is probably the same everywhere, I dont know.
    I have chosen mount carmel this time round for my pregnancy. They are offering a very affordable shared care package and three scheduled detailed scans and a mini scan on other consult visits. Good luck with your choice.

LouthMam

Hi again Momof3&bump,
    No that’s not my GP anyway. Sure just ask – at least it’s only the initial appointment you might have to pay for.
    Just forgot to mention that there is no 20 week scan any more – only teaching hospitals do these now to keep their accreditation. There is a scan at the first appointment in the Louth and then other scans depending on which member of the team you get called to on each appointment. I’ve been under Dr Akpan for all 3 pregnancies but might only meet him once each time. There are 4 doctors on his team who travel to the Louth for the ante-natal clinics every Wednesday and you usually meet all of them by the time you’re due! Then any one of them might be called for you if you require special attention at delivery in OLOL. Luckily I never did and just hadmidwives there for the births.
    I always paid privately for a reassurance ultrasound in the Louth at 8-10 weeks (€110) and a 3D scan at Babyscan in Swords at 26 weeks (€170).
    All in all my experience of pre-natal care in The Louth Hospital on the public system has been very positive. My experiences post-natally in OLOL are another story, which I’ve mentioned on here before. They were nothing to do with the issue of public/private care though.
    Best of luck,
    LM.

momof3+bump

hi snowdrop,
    sorry to hear of your m/c 🙁
    thanx for your help i checked out that package and it looks great 🙂
    heres wishing u a very happy & healthy pregnancy x

momof3+bump

hi louthmam
    thanx for all your help 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.