Ah, the poor doctors…

Home Forums National Chat Ah, the poor doctors…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So the doctors – yes, those same doctors who have been charging us 50 quid for a visit, even for a baby or child which really is the lowest of the low – are now looking to the public for sympathy and support.

It seems the doctors are not making as much money anymore because more people in Ireland have medical and GP cards now (damn that recession) and the doctors – bless their cotton socks – want us to get behind them to make the government help them out more financially, so they will not be as much out of pocket from looking after all these ‘people’ with the medical & GP cards.

I have to say, I find it hard to muster sympathy for them. Having paid 50 quid more times than I can remember for visits for all of us over the years, I think they should have been better to us when times were good and should not just be coming to the public now looking for help because the recession has finally affected them. They did not care whether or not I could afford to pay a bill for a visit for my child if he/she was sick. I had to pay, that was that. It got to the stage that some doctors actually charged me in their actual surgery room – they did not trust patients to pay at reception on the way out!!!

I feel we were ripped off by the doctors for years being forced to pay 50 quid a visit, especially for children who are so often sick. Its unfair and they should have done something years ago for parents who struggled with this but they didn’t.

Now the government are saying they want to introduce a card so that under 5’s go free for doctors visits and the doctors aint happy at all. I actually think the proposed card should be for under 16’s or at the very least, under 12’s but its a start to have one for under 5’s.

So watch out, there will be a flyer or petition coming your way soon from doctors who want your support.

will you support them?

Yvonne

Totally agree with you! They certainly will not be getting any support or sympathy from me!

I think it should be for under 16’s too.. in fact until they finish secondary school at least..
    My sister lives in England and has no doctors/dentist or prescription fees, its the way it should be!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Same for my sister too, her two children are free for doc/hospital in Jersey. Its a disgrace that from 6 weeks old, its full cost for a child for a doctors visit.

I cannot feel sorry for them. When we were really badly skint a few years ago I remember having to take my son to doc and not having 50 quid on me and they made sure to let me know I needed to pay it asap or else….all I was thinking about was my sick child but all they wanted to talk about was money. Shame on them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

All the doctors in my area are €60 a visit so I have even less sympathy than you Sabbi!

Although in fairness to my doctor as I have to take Hailey a lot with her chest & she charges less for reviews for the same condition & at one stage I was in with her 3 times in 6 weeks for the same thing & she didn’t charge the 3rd time….so they are not all money grabbers all the time 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

Still though – 60 quid a pop, thats a huge amount of money.

There is a very good pharmacist in our local Boots in Laurence Town Centre and that’s my first stop for medical advice now – unless its an emergency! Free and usually they can help me decide whether or not we really need to go to a doctor.

Yvonne

€60!! That’s crazy for an appointment… sure the doctor on call is €65 now I think?

My doctor isn’t too bad in comparison, he charges €40.

munchin
    Participant

yeah Sabbi the chemist in Duleek is pretty good for advice and we’ve started to go to them first before the doctors – ours is € 55

chewieodie
    Participant

I’m straight to my pharmacist in Bettystown…. I trust him implicitly and he has seen my kids grow up… and he knows that I don’t just give them medicine for any old thing…. so, only when he tells me that I need to go to the doc, do I go…. 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.