advice for the mini marathon

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness advice for the mini marathon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi all, ive signed up for the mini marathon this year. Im trying to get healthy after been out of the gym for 3 years( busy having two lovely children) :D but not sure how to start training for it. Any advice would help.

Taylor5

Find a route that you like, that is a big help… then get your runners on, start with a good brisk walk everyday or every other day if that suits best, but dont have more then a days break.
    Time your route, after 1 week, run for 30 seconds, brisk walk 30.. week2 run 1min brisk walk 30seconds.. week 3 run 2 mins brisk walk 30 seconds and build up from there. The bug will have bitten by that stage and you will be clock watching and you will have a finsh time goal to beat every run.
    Enjoy… oh i find some good pumping tunes on the iphone get me around much quicker, i just let the music take over. It might not be the best advice but it worked for me

Hi thanks for the advice. Ill get the walking shoes on and get started this weekend 😀

Cathmc

I started running last Spring and got nowhere fast and gave up after about 4 weeks. In September, I decided to give it another shot, but this time , I joined the beginners group in a local club. It was the best decision I have made in a long time. They start you off really slow, show you how to warm up properly and stretch properly. I have met some really nice people there. Now I am running with the club two evenings a week and running on my own two mornings a week. I still can’t believe that I am now doing that, I have really caught the bug.

Most clubs in Ireland have a beginners group called Fit4life. I find running with other people really helped me to stick with it

Jedt
    Keymaster

There is a beginners jogging group who meet at bistro BT on the beach in bettystown Monday mornings, 10.30am, you could run with them? all stages welcome, even total beginners.

Taylor5

There is a group in Drogheda on 1e per night, i think tuesday and thursdays, up from Staffords

Thats all great advice above.
    Its so wonderful for you to improve your fitness and wellness with running. Whats vital is to invest the time to stretch after running, at least 30 seconds on each lower limb muscle group. It will help to keep your body in balance, reducing your risk of injury and pain.

Also, having epsom salt baths or sraying Magnesium Oil on to your muscles after a run nurishes the mucles with magnesium so they can relax properly.

Keep an eye on the ‘whats new’ section of our site for videos on correct stretching techniques. http://www.bodyrightphysio.ie

Happy running! Sarah 🙂

Taylor5

What about stretches before running? Where do you get that spray? Looking forward to the new videos

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.