A mothers work is never done….

Home Forums National Chat A mothers work is never done….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Its crazy how much housework I get through with 4 kids but the worst thing is, no matter how much I clean, the house is wrecked a few minutes later.

I had great plans of sitting with feet up for an hour yesterday afternoon, as baby had been unwell the night before and she and I were exhausted. But once I got her off to sleep, decided to do a little bit of tidying up. That ‘little bit of tidying’ turned into vacuuming, doing a load of washing, making dinner and tidying upstairs. Don’t know why I bothered…..

The floor is already dirty; the kids only ate half the dinner I spent ages preparing and as for upstairs, it looks worse now than it did yesterday.

If I had been out at work at least I would have been entitled to regular breaks and would have had that cuppa but being at home, its all go go go….

The joys eh!! :wink:

happymumblemum
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be great to have a cleaner and a chef 😆

I do the bare minimum, hoovered floor, put on a wash, washed dishes, made beds, walked dog then watched Eastenders AND a movie 😆 😆

Making the most of it now 😆 😆 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

Oh to have a cleaner and a chef would be AMAZING!!!!At least then I would not feel as bad when it would not be all my hard work being undone!!

Last Sunday I cooked a roast dinner. Took me over two hours of peeling, seasoning, checking, roasting, serving & cleaning. It was a nice piece of stuffed steak but despite all the work and expense of it, the kids ate less than half. Was so disheartened.

Sometimes we go to the Glenside on a Sunday. We get half portions for me, hubby and our son and the girls get mash & gravy with some veg and it costs us around 30 euro. I reckon the dinner I cooked Sunday cost about 20 euro with all the veg & potatoes and I was knackered after it. Know what we’r doing next Sunday 🙄 🙄

happymumblemum
    Participant

Fair play cooking a big roast dinner with a new baby…..

Moonflower

at mo i am battling with living in a 3 storey rented house, carpeted top to bottom in cream carpet with 3 dogs that are used to having freedom of house and a garden that already resembles a mud pit…& new baby just about to arrive..so will soon be rolling a pram over that oh so lovely cream carpet…..DS being great takes shoes off as he comes in…a novelty for him as never used to in ireland….i cd hoover top to bottom every day..tryingbest to keep dogs contained more in downstairs utility room….

then heard rumour from friend in ireland that I had a cleaner over here..gave me an idea , Dh must of joked about it but think may consider it for a few weeks anyway…

but i have to be honest if i was feeling in top form & dogs had a bit more space downstairs carpet is easier to look after than woodfloors..for a quick fix anyway…

as for cooking..the dishwasher not working so washing by hand forgot how long it takes & oven is only half working so lots of frozen food being cooked as take too long to cook anything else…pheww….but then again just finished reading a book on irish mammies in 1900’s to 1950’s & made me realise just how lucky we are….

Jedt
    Keymaster

How about some ideas to make life a bit easier for us mammies?

Here one to get started – does anyone use a ‘slow cooker’ for casseroles etc?

Heard these are great, just throw a load of ingredients into and leave it to cook. Only one pot so not much cleaning and apparently they are very efficient on the electricity – which would be ideal with the flipping hikes about to be introduced!!

Fabienne

I have a slow cooker, use it twice a year.
    Can’t cook the way I’m used to. And no a fan of stew anyway. Even bought a book for cooking in slow cooker, still not used much.
    Did a chili con carne and came out ok.
    If you want to try it for a while Sabbi, let me know.

Fabienne, who’s not great at cleaning and never will. But I made a lovely diner tonight and for once kids ate it. Stuffed tomatoes with my mum recipe, not as good as hers, but noone complained.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i just got my ds off to play school 9-12 and i thought YES freedom….. how wrong was i …. 2 weeks in now and god dam it i am kept bust every morning cleaning 🙁 i had visions of me going for long walks (trying to loose weight)….. chillin with a cuppa…. when will i mother get a break… 😆

chewieodie
    Participant

DH and I have been getting organised in the cooking department…. We’ve been making extra portions of things, and then freezing….
    For example, in the freezer right now, apart from the normal odds and ends, we’ve got homemade chicken pie, stifado (a greek peasant stew), curry and tonight we whipped out a pasta sauce that we had made the week before…. so, made some fusilli, and Bob’s yer uncle! Granted, it means bulk cooking, but what a pleasure when you get the benefit of it during the week… real quick and easy. (This of course means that the kids have been hounding me to bake…. cos I’m not "cooking"…. NOT particularly good for the waistline) BUT good for the comfort factor! 😆 😆 😆

chewieodie
    Participant

DH and I have been getting organised in the cooking department…. We’ve been making extra portions of things, and then freezing….
    For example, in the freezer right now, apart from the normal odds and ends, we’ve got homemade chicken pie, stifado (a greek peasant stew), curry and tonight we whipped out a pasta sauce that we had made the week before…. so, made some fusilli, and Bob’s yer uncle! Granted, it means bulk cooking, but what a pleasure when you get the benefit of it during the week… real quick and easy. (This of course means that the kids have been hounding me to bake…. cos I’m not "cooking"…. NOT particularly good for the waistline) BUT good for the comfort factor! 😆 😆 😆

i was up cleaning last saturday night till 1.30am 😮 i got a burst of energy its rare 😆 my ma was in shock (still living at home)

Moonflower

slow cooker a godsend…curries, whole chickens, joints etc as well as casseroles..my SIL who has always been a full time working mum of twins kept going on about one & yes i do find it great especially in our house when i make 3 different dinners each night 🙄

also declutering helps so much as its so easier to clean up without all the mess around…

best tip is not to stress over state of house, friend of mine with 4 children is always chilled out, her house is not a showhome, like mine is not but she is a chilled mum…thats more important..how many of us put added stress on trying to keep a showhome for unexpected visits???

lellykelly

one thing ive been trying is to get the ironing done when the wash is dry, by the time i sort out the underwear, fleecy pj’s things that dont need ironing, ir rarely takes me 10 mins to get through one lot of it. Now getting it put away is another story……..but i do find it much much better when I dont have a huge pile of ironing staring at me everytime I move 🙂

joeyrudd

my house is far from being perfect with my 4
    once i clean it, it always looks like a bomb of clothes, toys and books went off
    i’m forever cleaning stuff off the walls, floors and furniture
    i don’t iron unless i have to, never have time to anyway
    there’s always something to do and kids are always into something
    oh the joys of family life 😆
    my MIL is always giving out about stuff not being done here well that was until she had to mind the kids for a day…not giving out as much now 🙄

Jedt
    Keymaster

Love it Joey….if I hear someone complaining about the state of our house I’ll leave them with my 4 for a few hours and see how they fare!! 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.