A Little poem for working Mum’s

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents A Little poem for working Mum’s

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

slow down mummy, there is no need to rush,
    slow down mummy, what is all the fuss?
    slow down mummy, make yourself a cup tea.
    slow down mummy, come spend some time with me.

slow down mummy, let’s pull boots on for a walk,
    let’s kick at piles of leaves, and smile and laugh and talk.
    slow down mummy, you look ever so tired,
    come sit and snuggle under the duvet, and rest with me a while.

slow down mummy, those dirty dishes can wait,
    slow down mummy, let’s have some fun – bake a cake!
    slow down mummy, I know you work a lot,
    but sometimes mummy, it’s nice when you just stop.

sit with us a minute,
    and listen to our day,
    spend a cherished moment,
    because our childhood won’t stay!

-R. Knight

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bodyright … 3997752065

Taylor5

Ah that is lovely…. and very true

MaryE

That has made me feel sad. God the guilt working mums always feel.

lellykelly

snap MaryE!! I’m sitting at my desk thinking wtf am I doing here?? 😕

Jedt
    Keymaster

Sometimes I think guilt is the second strongest emotion mothers feel after love!

I was at work this morning and when I left baby had very bad sticky eyes. Went to work worried about her but knew she was with her Daddy so was being well minded. After my event this morning, did a radio interview, ran to another meeting, once all that was done got home as quick as I could, brought baby to doctor because hereyes were getting worse, got home and made some food for the kids and tried to spend a bit of time with my son, whose birthday is today. Feel I neglected him today because of all the other stuff I was doing but will take him out tomorrow to try and make it up to him.

Do I feel guilty – well, maybe a little but but I know I am doing my best and they all seem relatively happy so trying not to be too hard on myself.

And yes, those clothes can wait until tomorrow to be washed, am going to spend some time playing with baby as soon as she wakes up from her nap!

Just sitting down now and am absolutely wrecked!

lellykelly

And then to feel guilty about feeling guilty becuase its such a time waster; its never ending!! I definitely think that its because in a way our generation is breaking the mould. For most of us, our mothers were probably at home part time if not all the time but now, the majority of mothers are outside the home in equal measure (if not more) than the dads. So its something alien to us; to think of our kids at home without their mam. I often think of my daughter when shes in her 20s & 30s with her own family and the opposite will be the truth, it wil be strange if she stayed at home. In a way I think I am doing her a service, she wont have the same depth of feeling I hope as its what she grew up with but maybe thats wishful thinking.

Having said that I printed the poem & have it in my wallet. Too often, I get caught up thinking that the dishes have to be done or everything has to be right when in reality that probably only matters to me!

LouthMam

Oh the Mammy Guilt! We all suffer from it. I stay at home but then feel guilty that I don’t give them enough variety, and I can be snappy because I spend so much time with them that I can resent it at times. And then I think that if I worked outside of the home I might have more cash so that I could bring them to different places and maybe pay for them to do sports or music or something.
    I also sometimes think that my friends who work really make the most of their time with their children in the evenings and at the weekends, they enjoy their kids so much, whereas I can be dying to get away from them for a few hours.
    And I can get caught up in housework and cooking and the whole day has gone by and I think – did I actually spend quality time with them today?
    I’ll stop rambling. I like these little poems, they can remind us all of what’s important. I like this little poem too:

I Took His Hand and Followed

My dishes went unwashed today
    I didn’t make the bed
    I took his hand and followed
    Where his eager footsteps led.
    Oh yes, we went adventuring
    My little child and I
    Exploring all the great outdoors
    Beneath the sun and sky.
    We watched a robin feed her young
    We climbed a sunlit hill
    Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky
    We plucked a daffodil.
    That my house was so neglected
    That I didn’t brush the stairs
    In twenty years no one on earth
    Will know or even care.
    But that I’ve helped my little child
    To see and learn and grow
    In twenty years the whole wide world
    May look and see and know.

twink
    Participant

Lovely poems….def love the no housework one….need to get off computer now and go do some play with my lo….ciao

Jedt
    Keymaster

Its funny – if we stay at home we feel bad because for certain reasons and if we go to work, we feel guilty for different reasons….

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t!!

But you know what – its a bank holiday weekend, so lets all enjoy them and the extra day off work/school 😀

So true.. Mammy Guilt seems to be part of the course!

happymumblemum
    Participant

How lovely..i have tears rolling down my face..it doesnt take much!

My dd now though is never in shes always playing out, would love to snuggle more but shes growing up!

I make a huge effort to do stuff with her but i think we are all guilty of the just a minute routine..and if i baked with her everytime she asked i would be permanantely at it!!!!

munchin
    Participant

oh yes the mammy guilt!
    I spent the weekend in liverpool with family and when the kids weren’t running about playing and being entertained they were hanging out of me – if we sat down it had to be one on either side of me or there was tears and i mean on the bus, at dinner table, on couch, in car, in plane 🙄 – my sil commented that she doesn’t know how the pair of them pulling out of me, climbing on me etc doesn’t drive me mad………. to which i replied – it does BUT they won’t want to be hanging out of me for long – i work long hours min 5days a week so i’m happy out that they want my attention when i’m around and i try my best to give it to them………….they won’t always want it, wont be long before they’re both out playing all the time and snuggles etc will become "uncool"

I love the 2nd poem – i love doing silly things with the girls and it’s often the simpliest of things that they get great pleasure out of and remember the most – things like climbing a mountain ( really only a hill ), holding hands and running down it………. the delight in their faces when on way home from a walk we ALL dance in the puddles and get soaking wet……….. lying in the ground and making snow angels when it’s been snowing…………….. unfortunately though – i don’t think i do these things often enough and thats when the auld mammy guilt kicks in!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.