5 year old in pool accident

Home Forums National Chat 5 year old in pool accident

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

My heart is breaking for this family, i dont know if its because my ds isnt much older then this child.. The family were checking out of the hotel, the mother was up packing in the room with a 1 year old child and the dad took the 5 year old swimming. God Bless that poor father, he will have to live with a lifetime of quilt and "what if’s"
    Maybe its time to take stock and be more aware when having kids around water, RIP little mite and my prayers and thoughts are with his poor mother and father
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0718/anglo.html

beams

Heard this on the news at dinner. Its so tragic – its not the first time i’ve heard this about a child in a hotel pool – people seem to drop their guard at swimming pools – swimming pools are lethal – kids need 100% attention and nothing less. In saying that its so terrible sad – god bless him and his poor family left behind.

Taylor5

But in all honesty what are men like with kids? I know there are times i want to just bang dh’s head for being so stupid and relaxed in front of danger with the boys, they do think different. I know thats what i do when in a hotel, send dh and ds down for one last swim before we head home, you would never think it would be the last…. 😥 😥 😥

We were in the West County Hotel in Ennis about 10 or 11 years ago, it was a Saturday morning and a dad had 3 kids at the pool, mammy was at home with a new baby… daddy put all the kids in the shower, he turned around and 3 year old missing, he was found face down in the baby pool… the somber mood in the hotel that night was terrible, i will never forget it, but it makes me very aware with my 2 around water

beams

O god thats terrible sad . I know what you mean about fathers – although not tarring them all but the majority mine included 🙄 I see it in the playground – strolling about 10 paces behind their toddlers who are running in front of swings including the handicapped swing – so dangerous but they dont seem to sense it the way us mams do. Its so tragic whats happened in Kerry – makes me want to wrap my two in cotton wool 😕

Mark Acu

My heart truly bleeds for the family I was physically ill last night when I heard it on the news. I worked in swimming pools since I was 18 and know only too well the dangers involved. It is such a balancing act trying to keep kids safe but have fun at the same time.

We used to have enormous problems with some people just leaving their very small children for lifeguards to “look after”. Daily almost we had to try and explain how, what and why it was the parents job to do it and not the responsibility of the lifeguard. The most dangerous area of the pool complex is actually the baby pool area as its where people let their guards down when it comes to safety thinking its shallow. In any pool environment it the area where most situations occur and not the deep end where you would think.

Case in point.
    I know a lot of people will be asking the question what was Daddy doing but the answer could well be he was in the right place and doing the right thing. I had an incident a few years ago where I was pool side talking to a mother who had children in the pool all there one min literally a sec later a 3 yr old face down and had to be resuscitated . Thankfully all was fine but it was a situation I will never ever forget and never want to repeat. It does show how incredibly fast a situation can happen even when two adults were literally within hands reach and watching.

Again poor family and Rest In Peace little man

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.