3yr old going nuts when getting his hair cut?

Home Forums Louth Chat 3yr old going nuts when getting his hair cut?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gismo

Hi all. My 3 yr old ds goes completely ballistic when getting his hair cut, I thought it was something he would grow out of but so far if anything it gets worse. We have tried cutting his hair ourselves…but he still gets himself in an awful state crying, kicking and screaming as if he was being killed. Has anyone had similar experiences with their little ones or know of a way to solve this?

Michelle

Hi Gismo,

i had the same with my son as we had to start getting his hair cut very young and he hated it!
    we turned it on and brushed his hair with a normal hair brush so he was getting used to the noise of the razor, and seeing that he was "just" getting his hair brushed then on the day we went to cut it, we brought him into his little tykes house and his auntie sat looking in the window as i "brushed" his hair, he was a little nervous about it at first but as she gave him more and more praise he was delighted, he was curious to it at first and often lifted his head to see what was happening etc.
    now he will sit on his chair in front of tele and i cut it no problems, he is still weary of the bit around the ears which i don’t blame him for as it is louder then so..

he has come around to it so much so that when his daddy says he’s going to get his hair cut DS makes me bring him into the sitting room to get a hair cut and loves showing it off too ppl when finished.
    the main thing that worked for us was the praise, and even after its cut everyone he meets, tell them "DS got his hair cut like the big boys" and the more praise the more willing he will be the next time around!!

Gismo

Thanks Michelle we have tried everything. We do have to bribe him to get him to consider it 🙄

Its done now for anothedr month so hopefully he will get better at it.

super minder

my son hated the water they spray , once we got to the bottom of it he was fine. xxx

Taylor5

Yes he is the very same, he went to the barber for years but last year about 3 it all started, we got a clippers in Argus and bribe him with maltesers or butter popcorn while getting it done, he told us this evening its the buzz buzz sound he doesnt like.
    Going to try using head phones when we cut his hair this weekend , will let you know how we get on, Oh it was also the bib thing or the towel that he hates

hjs

2.5 yr old went wild every haircut, by us, in my salon where i go, at home with profesh neighbour etc. In end, was told by barber that dh should just bring him in every time he gettin his own hair cut, so ds can just watch and get used to environment, then bring him for his own cut another time.

Is working, ds getting progressively les frantic each time he goes for cut. From screaming blue murder to the point of turning purple and having to bend him at the waist and pin his shoulders to the chair, he now sits still, and only objects (though still vociferously!) when wig being chopped round ears and forehead. He still gets it done, is only a few mins of discomfort for him and the benefit of having no hair falling in his face for the month and sweating with it thru the summer is worth it for him in my opinion.

Barber, who obv has seen it all a million times before said it would get easier each time and so far is perfectly correct.

Gismo

thanks hjs sounds like a plan. His granny brought him the last time and there was complete holy hell breaking loose. Its so embarrassing when your child is screaming and you feel like you are so cruel pinning them to the chair.

Will definitely try that one..thanks a million

hjs

Yes, the embarrassment thing is tricky, but u no wot? When i 1st brought ds to this barbers (one at bottom of stockwell st? dunno name, but they r brill) myself, b4 he told me the techniqueof make it a boys thing and get dh to bring him blah blh…I announced to the barber on this 1st occasion " I am afraid he is a nightmare, I just wanna warn u" He said to me "Well he is gonna b now, isn’t he? Now u/ve said that?" And of course he was right and tha’s when he told me how to play it in future.

But, I also have to say in their favour, there was not a bother on any member of staff (inc the lad doing the cutting) or any other customers in there and dh says it is the same on each occasion he’s taken him now – i think we r on trip 3 or 4 now. And another thind dh does that he swear helps, is bring him asap in the am when they open, and i’m talking 8 or 830 or similar on a sat am. Says is bit of pain getting in2 town when u just wanna relax, but is worth it as barber’s quieter and u don’t have to wait…

Gismo

Ah never thought of getting in there early. Good thinking. As there would be less of a wait and less time for him to think of the inevitable hair cut. Good one. Thank you so much for all the advice. He is due another haircut in about two weeks so will tell dh to go get his done before that and to bring ds and see how we get on.

hjs

Good woman.

It is defo traumatic at start but in our experience has quickly got better. DH has also taken to taking along ds’s favourite book of planes, he is quite obsessd with it (ds, not dh!) so helps distract if needed.

Lemme no how u go!

Gismo

will keep ya posted 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Taylor5

As far as I remember the hairdressers up beside Astrotots has a little chair for kdis to sit in and there prices are only a few euro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.