11 days to National Election!! Where are all the candidates?

Home Forums National Chat 11 days to National Election!! Where are all the candidates?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    soccermum

There is only 11 days to go and here in east meath I have had only one candidate call to our door. What about anyone else?? We have had two leaflets in the post from Sinn Fein and Labour. We are still in the East Meath area but I am shocked at the lack of interest in our area.
    Is it because East Coast Meath is such a small area and now has been divided into a Louth and Meath vote, are our little communites being sidelined? Are we considered, not big enough areas to make a difference in the overall result? And what will happen when we need the help of TD’s, if they cant be bothered to call out and look for our vote in the first place, what are our chances of seeing them along the east coast when we actually need something from them? Should we even bother thinking about "the local vote" or even bother voting altogether?

Taylor5

We had 2 so far… Ged Nash about 2 weeks ago and the time he called on the flyer, but i know what time as i was here, just didnt open the door…

Then the other night Mark Deary from the Greens, but dh opened the door…..

Surprised at how little callers we are getting, but we are getting alot of stuff through the post….. not just mail drops but personally addressed stuff!!!! 😯 Thats not cheap! 😯

Still not 100% sure who im voting for

hjs

Was spaeking to postie this am and he said the no of posters on people’s doors saying politicians and canvassers please f*** off at ur earliest convenience is unreal. Said they are on thousands houses. Perhaps the electioneers just cba on that basis? Lazy shower!!!

happymumblemum
    Participant

I was out in Dublin yesterday but dh had a canvasser round …however I would say he won’t be back 😆

The guy was ringing the door bell over and over whilst dh was watching the rugby, he did nt answer at first but then thought it was an emergency so answered it and saw the canvasser…

The conversation went like this

DH " Feck off I am not voting for any candidate who isn’t watching Ireland v France . Door slam.

😆 😆

soccermum

Maybe that is what is happening in our house too.. People are knocking but no one bothering to answer. Anyone that knocks on the front door are unexcepted irregular vistors. All the family and friends call to the back porch so there is no avoiding them. Or maybe the canidates just cant be bothered.

Financial Companion
    Participant

You’d think they’d give some thought to big events like an Ireland match and take a break for an hour or two!! I’ve had quite a few knock (I get sent out to "deal" with them! Mostly fine, but yesterday a girl knocked canvassing for someone and I noticed that she was coveringthe party name the way she held the leaflet so I asked her which party he was from? She said something about him being on the council so I pointed out that she had not answered the question. She reluctantly showed the Fianna Fail logo, I said "If you’re canvassing and you’re that ashamed, does that not tell you something?". Fergus O’Dowd seemed to get a good response from people but I know for a fact, there are many locals that appreciate genuine help he has given them in the last year or two and Ithink that really makes a difference in these times!

Was tempted to put the poster up with the slice of cheese 😆

rossylisa

we have only had the one call frank godfrey from independent party

soccermum

I am so appalled by this I asked about this at the school today and was informed that the Stamullen/Gormanstown have had very little activity in canvassing and Julianstown no one at all. My friend in Balbriggan has had about five people to her door already and has a constant flow of post. It is not like I am going to give these guys hell at my door but I would like them to turn up at least.

Taylor5

we have only had the one call frank godfrey from independent party

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Sorry Lisa, give me Gerry Adams anyday!!! Frank is a lovely man, but in my eyes he reminds me of the village idiot :roll:

Fergus O Dowd is a lovely man and very very hard working, cant understand why he didnt challange the leadership of FG, he would make a great party leader….. or the Sexy ex banker who does be on vincent brown, Michael something or other, he is about 60plus but still a fine looking man

scole1

we only had gerry adams (well not him but people for him) wasn’t promising the world etc like they usually do….spoke honestly and realistically for a change

so will be a hard one…and even my english in laws actually had him at the door and were impressed….imagine….

Taylor5

Watched the debate last night… MM and GA should have had boxing gloves on:roll:

Someone texted into Ray Darcy this morning,
    Gerry Adams won the debate and we all know he hasn’t a clue what he’s talking about 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

It was a real lol moment, someof the texts were soooo funny!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Does anyone have the confidence in Enda Kenny to run this country?

I am only asking because I cannot find one person who thinks he would be good. Literally no one, yet FG seem to be leading in the polls. Last year half his own party tried to overthrow him, yesterday he was swanning off across Europe for what can only be called a photo op. I don’t get how they are ahead. I heard they are going to chop pensions and the children’s allowance if they get in.

The way those party leaders were sniping at each other gives me no confidence in their abilities to get us out of this mess.

Reckon Eamonn Gilmore was best of a bad bunch.

Though, credit where it’s due, Fergal O’Dowd is very good, last year when Dads were not being allowed into the labour wards due to Swine Flu and MRSA bugs (or possibly hospital staff trying to keep them men out??), he had the issue raised and resolved in the Dail. Sadly, some dads missed their children’s births because of this issue but fair play to Fergal; Mumstown and Dad.ie contacted loads of TD’s and he was the only one who got on the case.

scole1

fergus o’dowd sabbi…..lol

Taylor5

fergus o’dowd sabbi…..lol

Fergal is his twin brother 😆 😆 😆 😆 We will put it down to pregnancy brain 😆 😆 😆

Martina
    Participant

On the canvassing front its easy knowing that last Sunday was a nice day…. I had Peter Fitzpatrick & Brendan Breathnach in person within 20 minutes of each other.

In saying that Brendan Breathnach apologised when I opened the door, he realised that he was right behind the other crew…. I said it didn’t matter as long as Big Gerry wasn’t following him, lol. 8)

At the minute Mark Dearey who is a Green is the one I’m most impressed with. I’ve had dealings with him before and I have to say anything I have asked of him information wise he’s delivered. He has also arranged a couple of meetings for me in the past with some of the bigger wigs and even when I have to ask him something ridiculous for the orchestra, he keeps a straight face before he answers (and believe me I’ve had to ask some stupid things…. like…. do you Bono? 😳 ) He owns The Spirit Store in Dundalk and someone thought he might have a contact! 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.