Sinead O’Connor – missing and suicidal

Home Forums Pregnancy Loss, Bereavement & Depression Sinead O’Connor – missing and suicidal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Sinead O’Connor has been found safe and well after she went missing for 2 days while out on a bike ride. Family were very worried about her and she had appeared depressed and suicidal before she headed off.

she was upset and distressed and has been suffering with depression recently, so the police got involved in looking for her over fears for her safety.

what was most appalling in all this was the reaction to her disappearance on social media. People were joking about her, saying terrible things about her, slagging her off and basically making a joke out of what was a very serious situation.

It makes you wonder why people think mental health struggles are laughable? this woman isclearly in need of help and thankfully, now that she has been found, she is getting that help but if she had been checking in on twitter or facebook that could have tipped her over the edge.

when are we going to realise mental health is something we really need to look after it?

very sad business altogether. I hope she will be ok. I like her, I think she is a talented musician but also, someone who struggles with the celebrity that comes with that. I hope she gets the help she needs and will be ok.

CaliGal

This breaks my heart as it is getting worse as the weeks go by…I follow her on social media and she is always on the edge this last 6 mos..hope she can get some relief soon 😥

Jedt
    Keymaster

If she had been on the edge and had been reading some of the horrible things people were writing about her, it could have tipped her over the edge.

People are so dismissive of mental health issues. It drives me mad.

Joe Cleary

Hi everyone,

Yes, we still live in an age where people experiencing mental health issues are derided and mocked. We have to remember that everything we say says something about us, and I suggest such derision is a way for people to set up a dichotomy of ‘us’ versus the mentally ill, as a defence against the reality of everyone being susceptible to mental health difficulties.

Sineád really wears her heart on her sleave, and when that heart is suffering she’s very exposed. But commenting positively, as you are here, is one way to turn the tide on a culture of ignorance and dismissal around mental illness.

Best wishes,
    Joe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.